cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane amount of reconnects and router resetting when downloading from Chrome!

racquel
Grafter

Insane amount of reconnects and router resetting when downloading from Chrome!

This IS logged with tech support already, but given they are taking around 4 days to reply to tickets at the moment, I'd be interested in any other opinions about this in the meantime:
Router: Technicolor TG582N 10.2.2B firmware. Have done a hard reset, but, how's this for weird:
When I have the laptop directly connection via LAN cable and initiate a download of any file in Google Chrome (win 7 x64), the router resets.
All except power lights go out, full router reboot.
Did it 5 times in a row this morning. Via wireless or via Firefox, no problems. WTF?!
The next thing is that it's been hell today - the logs are insane - page after page of stuff like this:
Info 	Nov 3 17:49:50	LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.70)
Info Nov 3 17:48:42 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): modified rules
Info Nov 3 17:48:42 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules
Info Nov 3 17:48:42 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): deleted rules
Warning Nov 3 17:48:42 PPP link up (Internet) [84.92.52.xxx]
Info Nov 3 17:48:36 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:48:32 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PTW-AG04 (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:48:30 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:48:27 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:48:10 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:48:07 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PCL-AG03 (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:47:47 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:47:24 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): modified rules
Info Nov 3 17:47:24 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): created rules
Warning Nov 3 17:47:24 PPP link down (Internet) [84.92.52.xxx]
Info Nov 3 17:44:10 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Warning Nov 3 17:44:04 PPP link up (Internet) [84.92.52.xxx]
Info Nov 3 17:44:04 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): deleted rules
Info Nov 3 17:44:04 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:44:03 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PCL-AG06 (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:44:03 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:43:45 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:43:31 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.70)
Info Nov 3 17:43:31 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:43:30 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:43:30 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PCL-AG05 (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:43:30 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:43:23 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:43:06 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): modified rules
Info Nov 3 17:43:06 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): created rules
Warning Nov 3 17:43:06 PPP link down (Internet) [84.92.52.xxx]
Info Nov 3 17:41:37 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.6.9
Error Nov 3 17:35:16 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 60.186.3.61 Dst ip: 84.92.52.xxx Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
Info Nov 3 17:08:30 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.70)
Warning Nov 3 17:08:26 PPP link up (Internet) [84.92.52.xxx]
Info Nov 3 17:08:26 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): deleted rules
Info Nov 3 17:08:26 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:08:26 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PCL-AG07 (Internet)
Info Nov 3 17:08:25 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red10.cf-c (Internet)

"PPP CHAP Receive challenge" from bras-red10.cf-c (mnultiple times), also PTW-AG04, PCL-AG03, PCL-AG06, PCL-AG05, PCL-AG07.
I don't spend a lot of my life looking at router logs, but normally I'd see one or two of these every couple of days.
Knackered router or something else possibly?
11 REPLIES 11
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Insane amount of reconnects and router resetting when downloading from Chrome!

Hi,
Does this just happen with Chrome? Any problems with Firefox or Opera?
It could be the router, but it seems unlikely. Do you have a friend that you could borrow one from (just for testing)? It might be worth it just to rule it out if you can.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
racquel
Grafter

Re: Insane amount of reconnects and router resetting when downloading from Chrome!

tl;dr summary
The router's knackered, new one ordered.
Big thanks to tech support for the info which helped me diagnose that the disconnects were ONLY happening when the PC was being used.
EDIT/UPDATE: I found an old BT Homehub which I thought was duff but seems to be working.
The only reason I wanted the PN router was because I had a SixxS IPV6 tunnel which of course the HH can't do, but I'm not too fussed about V6 right now - it was just as a learning thing.
Read on if you're bored and want to know what the outcome was in the end...
Quote from: plusnettony
Does this just happen with Chrome? Any problems with Firefox or Opera?
It could be the router, but it seems unlikely. Do you have a friend that you could borrow one from (just for testing)? It might be worth it just to rule it out if you can

OK, I have spent HOURS on this after being plagued by dropouts, and here's what I've found:
When any LAN connection is plugged DIRECTLY into the router, in any port, and Google Chrome initiates a file download, the router resets.
All lights go off, full reboot.
Not Firefox, not Net Transport, not IE. Just Google Chrome. Just downloads.
This applies to both my Win8 x64 PC connected via HomePlug, or a Windows laptop plugged in directly to the router.
It does NOT happen on Chrome on the same laptop when running Ubuntu, nor does it happen on a Mac laptop on Chrome.
If I connect PC > WIFI > WR702N (Access Point) > Homeplug > Homeplug > Router then it's fine. In other words, it seems that the wireless access point "breaking" the physical LAN link stops this happening.
I've tried this with different ports, different cables, the laptop uplugged, everything else uplugged. Oh, and I've done a hard factory reset of the router.
I know no-one is going to believe me as it all sounds so nuts - I'm happy to do a Youtube video if anyone cares. I've also done a Wireshark capture, which shows lots of black lines at the time the router crashes, but I really don't understand enough about Wireshark to interpret it - anyone want to have a look?

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The problem just sounds so odd, and it's one which I would imagine would normally be fixed by accident.
I would have probably suggested a reinstall of Chrome before a new router! Anyway, the important thing is that you got to the bottom of the problem.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: plusnettony
The problem just sounds so odd, and it's one which I would imagine would normally be fixed by accident.
I would have probably suggested a reinstall of Chrome before a new router! Anyway, the important thing is that you got to the bottom of the problem.

Indeed - I'd have said so too IF it hadn't have been the case that it was happening across two different devices, ONLY when connected via cable.
Not that any of this matters, but if anyone's still a bit dubious, take a look at Monday on the image below:

Now, the Saturday was when I'd got back after 9 days away, during which time, according to support, I had a rock solid connection without one single drop.
Also during that time, I had 2 IP webcams and a weather station connected wirelessly and uploading data every minute, and a friend house-sitting occasionally using his laptop wirelessly.
Saturday was where I tried to plug my laptop into the LAN, at which point I had noticed that the router wasn't just dropping, it was resetting.
Monday was a nightmare - 15 drops on that one day along according to support - one of the disconnects in the morning was me doing another "factory reset".
But then Tuesday evening is another point of interest - the reason it was totally switched off for a while was because I'd called up plusnet, and got cut off with a loud click, which was the first time I'd realised that the router resetting also caused the phone line to drop a call if I'd initiated it, and I knew it because I saw all the lights go off when the clicks happened and the calls dropped. I'd had other clicks before when the net dropped, but because the calls were incoming they hadn't been dropped, and I hadn't put all the clues together at that time, I'd assumed it was a crackly line causing the net to drop, not the router causing the line to click very (VERY!) loudly when it reset. In fact, not just a click, a click and then a loud quickly-dropping whining tone for one second, then silence.
Since I've connected "wireless only" (not ideal), it's been OK. As far as it only happening with Google Chrome, the only thing I can think of is that I'd turned on all the Chrome experiments like experimental protocols like QUIC etc, and that some combination of traffic via the LAN port, the 10.2.2.B firmware, unusual protocols and maybe some kind of memory corruption in the router had all combined to cause it to crash when faced with those exact same conditions.
I suppose I could go down the road of further testing, but life's too short, a new router is on the way, and it's such a bizarre edge case it's not really going to be of use to anyone else anyway!
So, yes, most weird.
racquel
Grafter

And so it goes on, and on, and on. New router, old problem. Finally managed to find someone is support who had the idea to try Chrome Canary - downloads work without crashing the router!
So, to summarise once again:
This ONLY happens on Google Chrome "standard" (not Canary) on Windows 7 and 8.1, but not Ubuntu on the same laptop, or Chrome on a Mac.
This ONLY happens with file download sent as application/octet stream; the same file sent as application/pdf opened in the browser doesn't crash it.
This does NOT happen when connected wirelessly.
This does NOT happen on Firefox or IE on Windows.
This does NOT happen with an old BT Homehub 2.
I've logged a Chrome ticket, but there seems to be no way of end users logging tickets with Technicolor.
I've spent endless hours mucking around disabling protocols, checking drivers are up to date, updating tickets, talking to plusnet.
Here's a video:
; << clearly, I'm not a "racquel" -  not even on the weekends! It's my partner's username which the forums seem to have picked up and I can't change.
Seriously, I've done my bit now. It's time for someone else to step up and take some responsibility diagnosing this.
And, yes, I know the two obvious responses:
"Don't use LAN and don't use Chrome",
Well, firstly if only it were that easy, and secondly, even if it were, that's kind of missing The Point!
racquel
Grafter

UPDATE: Google Canary DOES crash the router - once I've loaded my Google profile.
I thought it might be an extension or a flag I'd changed, so I disabled ALL extensions and reset ALL flags back to default. So, WTAFF?!
I am totally stumped now. Plusnet support have tried to be as helpful as possible, and found an email address for Thompson (who make the Technicolor router).
I'll give that a go.
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: racquel

And, yes, I know the two obvious responses:
"Don't use LAN and don't use Chrome",

Just doing a Google search for "Chrome crashes router" brings up page after page of problem question about reboots etc., many suppliers and different routers.
So yes you have answered you own question, it is a Chrome problem so DON'T use Chrome.  Roll_eyes
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Stumpy21
So yes you have answered you own question, it is a Chrome problem so DON'T use Chrome.  Roll_eyes

But I don't really have a choice. And besides, isn't it more the case that a manufacturer should build a router which doesn't physically hard reset when presented with what is, after all, just a pattern of bytes?
It's not like Chrome is sending 230v down the wrong LAN wire or anything...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,
What a comprehensive diagnostic process, though pity you did not find Stumpy21's info earlier.
As for the forum display name, you can change that here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile - under account settings.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Townman

What a comprehensive diagnostic process, though pity you did not find Stumpy21's info earlier.

Ah! Cool - which thread is that in?
Quote from: Townman
As for the forum display name, you can change that here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile - under account settings.

Same as last time I tried -
"The selected username has already been taken"
but I'm not trying to change the username, just the display name.

Trying AGAIN...
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
No subject was filled in.
The message body was left empty.
racquel
Grafter

OK, starting to narrow it down with the help of the Chromium tickets team. It seems like it might be "tunnelling IPv6" related.
In fact, I found this thread with multiple reports of the router crashing http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106578.0.html
Because it is SO random, it's taken me this long to put two and two together. So, until Plusnet fix their buggy router software or implement IPv6, I guess this means the end of my using IPv6.
Which is tricky as I'm supposed to be working on a site/vps which is supposed to be IPv6 compliant - sure, I can work on it via IPv4, but I then won't know if something I've done has killed IPv6.
None of this is really ideal. I'll take the conversation over to that other thread now.