cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Innacurate Usage Reports

LoneRanger
Grafter

Innacurate Usage Reports

I am completely baffled by the 'View My Usage' tables. According to the reprort we used 3.63GB on 26th March between 16:00 and 00:00.  Checking the logs on each of the computers (using Networx) none of them show anything like that amount of usage.  However, one computer does show a similar volume of usage between 00:00 and 02:00 on 27th March.  This looks to be far to greater coincidence and it appears that the Plusnet usage report is time stamped incorrectly.  The clocks on all our computers are correct, as is the router.  The router logs show only our computers have accesed the internet through our connection.  This wouldn't be such an issue if it wern't for the fact that this has now pushed our peak usage over 20GB which has meant that the connection is now slowed down to virtually unusable.  In fact all month I have been having trouble consolidating Networx traffic reports with Plusnets.  Anyone got any idea as to what is going on here?
9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Innacurate Usage Reports

What is now midnight was 23:00 prior to last Sunday.  Could Plusnet have forgotten to put their clocks forward?
Another remote possibility is that some other Plusnet customer is using your user name and password.  This cropped up once on this forum when a father passed-on his old router to his daughter, both were Plusnet clients and the old router had the father's credentials. 
James
Grafter

Hi Loneranger,
If it helps you, we can get you an hourly breakdown for a certain day.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: ReedRichards
What is now midnight was 23:00 prior to last Sunday.  Could Plusnet have forgotten to put their clocks forward?

We did identify and fix a BST/GMT discrepancy with parts of the traffic management platform yesterday (ref: 70854). If anything though, this would have had the reverse effect e.g. usage from before Midnight would have been attributed to a period after Midnight rather than the other way around Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

itsme
Grafter

Think you need to explain the problem. If the problem was that usage was still using GMT than any data used between 00:00 to 00:59 BST would have logged as 23:00 to 23:59 GMT
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I wasn't involved with fixing the problem, but AFAIK the switches were collecting usage based on GMT which was then passed to the accounting platform and processed using BST.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LoneRanger
Grafter

Well, I'm not very pleased about this as I know that there was definately not 3GB of usage between 23:00 and 00:00.  One fact that bears this out is that as we were already on restricted speed to download 3GB in an hour would have been impossible anyway.  It would have taken closer to three hours!  Yet I also know from traffic records, one of our computers DID download 3GB between 00:00 and 02:00 (after the speed restrictions were lifted).  And as previously said, this has put us over the top of our usage allowance causing huge issues.  ebay is unusable, Youtube is unusable, any form of video streaming is unusable.  In fact I can't even stream audio!
Can someone in authority please get some answers because what your usage report states is physically impossible on our connection.
James
Grafter

Hi,
As per my offer yesterday, I've reviewed your hourly downloads and can see that there definitely wasn't that level of usage before midnight, and it does appear to be in the midnight to 2am slot, which could be partially explained by the clocks going forward.
I am afraid that there is nothing that I can do to merely remove a chunk of usage from what you have used this month.  I will see if I can get this reset, but I don't think it is possible on your account type.
James
Grafter

Hi,
In light of the extra usage added to your peak period (although your traffic would still be getting managed), I've taken the decision to reset your usage this month as a goodwill gesture for the problems that going over 20GB will have caused.
This may take a view hours to reflect in your broadband usage that you can see on the portal.
LoneRanger
Grafter

Thank you very much for your help and this gesture, it is very much appreciated.