cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information/thoughts on the Technicolor TG582n?

Elliot
Grafter

Re: Information/thoughts on the Technicolor TG582n?

Quote from: mattb26
Its a bit of a duff router in my experience.
Drops WiFi signal for no apparent reason, no matter what channel or how far you are away from the thing. I've had it less than a week and have already ordered a netgear of ebay as a replacement.
My old Thomson PN router never dropped signal. This was supposed to be an upgrade.
Matt

What type of router should we look for? ADSL2+?
Will my current Sky Unlimited Broadband (non-fiber) work?
People keep mentioning that the supplied router is optional but it's not as simple as that. I live with my parents and had to explain that Plusnet were worth switching to from Sky due to the speed but if my parents start getting rubbish signal and/or other problems with this router, I'm the one who gets the stick from them e.g. You said they were good, they can't be if we are getting rubbish Wi-Fi signal etc.  -_-
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Pretty much any (UK) ADSL2+ router should work.
As long as you can access and change the login / connection details the Sky router should work fine.  I believe some of their routers are 'locked' with custom firmware but could possibly be unlocked by flashing manufacturer's standard firmware.  To be certain you'd probably be best to Google the router model number.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
lushman2012

Got connected on the fibre on 06/09/12 after migrating from another isp. Initially I was pleased with the router as it connected without any issues and also my sure signal. 24 hours later I was online (Xbox) and started experiencing lag even though my game was showing a solid ping. Even my friends in the room their chat was breaking up. I rebooted and made sure no other devices were running and still no improvement. The wifi I found to be spot on.
I reverted back to my Netgear WNR 2000 and the lag instantly stopped so staying with the Netgear for the next while anyway.
Hope that helps
James
Grafter

I believe the Sky routers are locked to Sky.
You'd need to flash it for it to work with us.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dbsmith
oh - and any idea what the USB PORT is for ?Huh

The USB port can be used to connect a network drive and/or printer.
Network drive needs to be FAT32 (or at any rate not NTFS). Seems to work OK but I've only played with it as I have an existing NFS. Worked for me to read from a stick on a machine with no USB ports.
Network printer seems to work just fine - I'm using it to network a printer which has only a USB connection and used to need me to have its host PC more or less permanently on. Setting up seemed slightly awkward as I couldn't identify it over the network but it works fine as long as I installed it manually on each machine.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Pretty sure the current version from Plusnet has no usb port.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.