cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinity installed on my exchange but not available to me

Emlyn
Dabbler

Infinity installed on my exchange but not available to me

Although Infinity has apparently been activated on my exchange (Wolverton), both PlusNet and BT say that it's not available on my number, and there's no suggestion that it is likely to be. Presumably this is something to do with my particular line.
I can get 1mb maximum, in practice often less. BBC i-player needs 2mb. Increasingly I hear people complaining that they 'can only get 2mb'.
What is the chance of my line being upgraded? The fact that my exchange has been enabled but not my line makes it seem less hopeful to me.
19 REPLIES 19
markg140
Grafter

Re: Infinity installed on my exchange but not available to me

Whilst the support and technology may be in the exchange BT still need to install the street cabinet to serve your street with the fibre from the exchange.

This cabinet in a word "connects" the copper your current ADSL service uses with the fibre to the exchange.

You should see one appear soon hopefully I'm unaware of a place to check install dates for them though
Emlyn
Dabbler

Thanks Mark. some months ago when I know that installation work was going on in the area,  there was a flurry of Openreach activity in our street and I thought that the cabinet was being upgraded. Is it possible to tell from the outside whether or not is is an upgraded cabinet (ie do they look any different to regular cabinets?)
markg140
Grafter

Usually they install a brand new cabinet like the one pictured below

That is the new style of cabinet typically used.
I can't find another which I have seen which is an older larger cabinet that simply has a new sort of "door bolted on".
But the above one pictured is the one most used.
Stewthecue
Grafter

Basically BT upgrade the cabinets that they feel will be easiest, not the most deserving. This is so they can keep their promise of 1 million homes served by 2012 or whatever it was.
I'm in the same boat. My exchange has been fibre active since early to mid 2010, but still there are no signs of it ever coming to me. Although, there was a fibre cabinet installed in my street over 2 months ago, but there's still no date or any other info available to me.
Fibre cabinets are normally installed within 3 or 4 meters of the old cabinet, since they connect directly to the old ones (As i'm told). They do look different, but not alot different. It's still a green box, but shinier, often larger and usually has vents on the front.
markg140
Grafter

Quote from: Stewthecue
Basically BT upgrade the cabinets that they feel will be easiest, not the most deserving. This is so they can keep their promise of 1 million homes served by 2012 or whatever it was.
I'm in the same boat. My exchange has been fibre active since early to mid 2010, but still there are no signs of it ever coming to me. Although, there was a fibre cabinet installed in my street over 2 months ago, but there's still no date or any other info available to me.
Fibre cabinets are normally installed within 3 or 4 meters of the old cabinet, since they connect directly to the old ones (As i'm told). They do look different, but not alot different. It's still a green box, but shinier, often larger and usually has vents on the front.

Green box, larger,shinier?
What like the one I posted ? 😛
lexusuk
Grafter

I'm also in the same boat.  The exchange is enabled but not the cabinet.  Sad
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

They do look different, but not alot different. It's still a green box, but shinier, often larger and usually has vents on the front.
They also have the yellow electric 'lightning' warning icon.
Naughty thought: with the vents as low as they are, I hope the dogs can read. Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

That may be a small amount of the decision making, but there are a number of factors, including BT's Profit.  They aren't a charity, so if they think they are unlikely to even make their money back from a particular cabinet then they may not.  Also to consider is whether there is room in the vacinity of the existing cabinet to site the new one.  The new one also needs electric, so there needs to be somewhere for them to draw that from, such as a streetlight.  Then they need to apply for planning permission, so if the council stall on this, or refuse it, then there could be more delays or the possibility of it not getting done at all.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Not sure that BT require planning permission in most cases, believe it's only required in conservation areas.
itsme
Grafter

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Sorry, my mistake.  I'd heard of planning issues with some of them, but hadn't realised it was only in conservation areas.
Thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Emlyn
Dabbler

Thanks everyone - very helpful.
Just to make it worse, I checked the houses round the corner (just a few yards) from me and even without fibre they are getting 2mb ie double my speed. Frustrating. Sad
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Emlyn
have you done the obvious and checked your house telephone socket wiring.  Roll_eyes
It worked for me and \I have gone from 1.5Mbps to 4.3Mbps. see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97499.48.html
Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Emlyn
Dabbler

Thanks Peter - I'll give it a try!