Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexplicable Broadband speed drop

FIXED
SFJSmith
Hooked

Inexplicable Broadband speed drop

For some unknown reason, my broadband download speed has dropped from ~6mbps to ~380kbps.

Upload speed is down from ~1mbps to 750kbps. This applies to both RJ45 and WiFi connections to the route

The dialing tone is string and clear, there is no background noise on calls, the router is plugged into the master ADSL socket and all of the wiring is in good condition and unchanged, and the router is less than a year old.

I have also tried restarting the router

The router reports:

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: ****************
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 14:04:31
7 - Data rate: 895/7491
8 - Maximum data rate: 924/7556
9 - Noise margin: 6.5/3.0
10 - Line attenuation: 22.0/44.0
12 - Data sent/received: 22.9M/63.4M
20 - Broadband username: *****************
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: *****************
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: *************
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

Any idea how this can be fixed because I can't work from home with this bandwidth?

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Inexplicable Broadband speed drop

@SFJSmith From looking at your router statistics, you are getting a reasonable connection speed for your attenuation, but the downstream SNR looks a little low - I would have expected that to have been at least 6dB.

How did you determine your speed was ~380kbps?

John
SFJSmith
Hooked

Hi John, I determined 380kbps using Ookla Speedtest.net on android smartphone, Linux PC using WiFi and direct connection, and by the fact that it's taking ~40 minutes to download a 25MByte update on the smartphone. Normal dowload speed is 6Mbps & an update of this size would take 30 seconds. The line is totally clear & quite for voice calls. I'm currently making a lot of them as I'm dealing with the aftermath of my mother's death 😞
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that information. Sorry to hear of your loss.

As your reported connection speed to the exchange is roughly where I'd expect it to be given your reported d/s attenuation, I can't honestly explain your disappointingly low results, although that 3dB noise margin certainly won't be helping it shouldn't result in such a low speed.

Just as a point of interest, are you disabling wireless when running the tests wired? Sometimes, even when you think you are using the wired connection, unless you explicitly disable wireless, it will still use that connection.

John
SFJSmith
Hooked

I unplugged the WiFi adapter from the PC so it was definitely using the cable. The lights on the router confirmed this. The Guaranteed Minimum for my line is 1Mbps according to the contract. Could somebody please reset my line to see if it fixes it?
jab1
Legend

OK, definately a cable connection then, but reading your router statistics page says you are connected at a reasonable speed. I'm no expert, but the figures (to me) point to a local issue.

John
SFJSmith
Hooked

The only local issue would have to be either the router or the master socket. I'll try using the test socket with an ADSL filter when I get home but I think my bandwidth is being throttled on the virtual circuit as though I'd had line problems which I haven't.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Fix

Hi @SFJSmith, thanks for getting in touch on our forums.

I am very sorry for your loss, please accept my sincerest condolences.

I have tested your line and we are seeing a sync speed of 5.8mb with no faults detected; the SNR is at 3dB and so I have now increased this for you as there has been a few drops today.

If you continue to have issues once connected into the test socket, please log a fault here so we can investigate further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SFJSmith
Hooked

Hi Lauren
Thanks for condolences and for adjusting my line. The drops would have been me examining the ADSL master socket this morning where I found some crud had ingressed and, once I'd cleaned it out, the download speed was back up to 5Mbps. Hopefully, it won't recur but at least I'll know where to look first. ☺
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@SFJSmith 

Just curious - would this be a Master Socket 5C?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to me @SFJSmith, I am glad to hear things have improved. Just get back to us if there's any further issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SFJSmith
Hooked

No, older type ADSL faceplate with ADSL socket to the left & phose socke to the right.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

OK, thanks.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)