Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Industry insight session

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Industry insight session

Hi guys,
We're taking part in a session to discuss hot topics across the broadband industry, the aim is to uncover what kind of trends will emerge in 2012. There will be discussion across a number of subjects and debates will arise from questions asked by consumers or guests.
Are there any questions or points you'd like to see discussed?
Examples so far are:
- Predicted usage trends and areas of growth
- New product launches and their impact on consumers and the industry (eg Netflix)
- How key is public wi-fi access to the growth of broadband in the UK?
In addition, we're hoping that a member of the Community can join us in London to present a selection of questions and keep us on our toes with a little debate. Unfortunately we won't be able to cover any travelling costs but would be very happy to see you - the event will be blogged from our side and recorded for a podcast.
I don't have the exact address yet but I'm told it's 15 minutes from King's Cross Station in London. If you'd be able to attend from 10am on Tuesday 15th November then please drop me a pm with your name and a contact telephone number and a few details about why you'd be able to provide a good debate - e.g. what level of technical knowledge do you have, how have or will advancements in technology affect you?
Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Industry insight session

Yes
Q. With onlive now available in the UK will there be a product specifically for onlive eg more bandwidth?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is a question that's very specific to individual companies rather than something that seeks to outline trends within the industry. If we were to ask 'will companies need to create new products to cope with the bandwidth requirements of future applications' then the answer will undoubtedly be yes, but we couldn't go into details of our own offerings until they were released to the wider public through our Marketing channels.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note Thread moved here at OPs request to raise it's profile.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
zubel
Community Veteran

I'd like to see whether any UK based legislation is being introduced that may have a chilling effect on invention and innovation, similar to the proposed SOPA and E-PARASITE bills attempting to be introduced in the US which introduces secondary liability, and the effective blackholing of sites by closing down payment processors based on mere accusations of civil infringement.
In addition, I'd like to see how the coming explosion of streaming video such as Netflix in the UK will be handled from the perspective of the 'last mile' carriers, when it has been recorded that one third of US peak bandwidth is devoted to Netflix streaming, (far and above the current peak demand for bittorrent traffic, interestingly).
Also, on the subject of Wifi, I think it would be interesting to know the legal ramifications of running a public Wifi hotspot in terms of liability.
Yes, they seem to be boring legal questions, but I think 2012 will be a very interesting year in terms of legal battles over Internet technology:)
Cheers!
B.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Barry, they're great additions.
matt_2k34
Grafter

@Steve M
If there was, i believe it would have to come from BTr, as they've got exclusive rights to "bundle" Onlive with BT, i think anyone else doing something specific for Onlive, would breach that. Roll_eyes
I'd have to agree with Barry, 2012 is going to be a boring internet year, as more paperwork gets battled over and people trying to point the finger of blame and liability.
@Ben,
Something id like to see for myself, indeed! would i like to Join the debate.. mhmmm no  Wink

Questions:
is there an expected decrease in landline broadband usage as people move onto (yet more) mobile offerings, with several companies increasing their coverage and/or looking towards LTE...
are things like This, BT being told to block sites going to become commonplace in 2012, and are we looking towards a year that is the start of censorship of the internet in the UK?
Regards
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how will Nokia's plans for free WiFi in London affect fixed line broadband
came into operation 1s Nov  Oxford St, Tottenham Court Rd,Victoria Station, full London coverage planned for 2012  WWW.nokia.co.uk