cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indirect problem effecting speed

PeteED

Indirect problem effecting speed

I have been a Plusnet cutomer for several years and when it is working it is great but sometimes I feel so frustrated. my problem is as follows.
My broadband connection is intermittent. Generally it get worse as the weather gets damp. On a bright dry day the downstream loss is approx 10-12 db but as it gets dark and damp this can drop to 1-2 db. this can cause the sync to drop out. If I leave it for a while it comes back at 1-2 db and then next day it will be up to 10 db again. This is measured as my Linksys ASDL2 router  On a very wet and windy dayit can be impossible to get the sync to connect. This on and off has the effect of reducing my speed due to the BT AGC. So my broadband can be as low as 100K for some days before returning to normal at normallys approx 3.5M .
I have done many checks on my sytem including different modems (routers) repacing filters connecting straight to the master socket etc. the internal wiring is all Cat 5 Twisted pair a a separate system for speech and internet., all to no avail
I think the problem may be with the BT line from the pole in the street! . I have been in the house 11 years and the box on the wall is the old type i.e not with removable front panel. I suspect the connection to the pole is over 30 years old!.  The speech is not bad but can occasionally  be very crackly which again is definitely worse on damp and foggy days
Could this be the  cause of my problem?.
I have spoken to BT service and they said they could not investigate it at my request it need a request to "BT wholesale" from my ISP .
If this could be the problem them how do I instigate a request to BT wholesale[?
Undecided
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Indirect problem effecting speed

Quote from: PeteED
The speech is not bad but can occasionally  be very crackly which again is definitely worse on damp and foggy days

Excellent!
The next time the phone goes crackly ring whoever you pay for your phone rental to report a VOICE telephone fault. Do not mention broadband. Make sure that you speak to an operator and ask them if they can hear the noise and if so to make a note of it. Also make sure that you say that it is intermittent and depends on the weather.
If you get that sorted the broadband will almost certainly be sorted as well. If you try reporting this as a broadband fault you will be given a total run-around which after several fruitless engineer visits will end up with the voice fault being investigated and fixed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
peterplusnet

Fully agree with Jelv. Had very similar problem about a year ago, in our case the voice quality go so bad they had to come out to fix it. This resulted in a new cable from the road into our property. That certainly cured the prblem both voice & broadband. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to the forums PPN
PeteED

Hi
Thanks for the advice. The trouble is the BB seems much more critical of the line quality. So it will be just my luck to have to wait a few weeks for the right sort of damp to upset the voice line.
Today its nice and cold and sunny and what do you know the loss is 13db when it wrote the post yesterday it was raining ant it was 3db  but the phone did not seem so bad.  But I will wait until the next rainy day and give BT a call.
Thanks again