cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredibly slow broadband speeds in new house

skezzascholey

Incredibly slow broadband speeds in new house

Hello,
I have just moved into a house with a friend and we've ordered Plusnet's no contract broadband with no phone line, figured we didn't really need one as we both have mobiles and both work full time. The house is a fairly old house and has never been broadband connected before. We decided not to take the Plusnet router as I have about 4 of them and they're not much good, and I have two actually fairly decent routers (Belkin and a 3COM).
After the 7 days initial connection time (Which felt a little obnoxious considering they charged me £50) we finally got connected yesterday using the Belkin router. Initially, we were pulling down a a horrific 10kbps (yes, slower than dial-up). I just assumed that this was typical issues when first connected, so I tried again this morning and was pulling down around 50kbps. I switched the RJ11 cable between the microfilter and the router as it was a 6P2C standard (2 central pins), I think. I've switched it to a more common 4 pin RJ11 cable. I've also disconnected the remaining phones that were still connected, so there's no issue with interference, it's as simple as it gets. It's a router, plugged into a microfilter, plugged into the wall, with no telephones at all.
Tonight, we've just about been able to get 300kbps, but even this is dreadful. BT Line Checker says we should be getting 3-5mb. I've tried both routers and both give the same results.
Is this just the 10 day warming period, or should we have better speeds by now?
5 REPLIES 5
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: Incredibly slow broadband speeds in new house

You should have better speeds.
Please follow the guidance here, and post the results back to this thread. It will give people a better chance to understand what might be happening.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
skezzascholey

Hello,
Thank you very much for your reply:
So I've gone ahead and done all the tests.
Router stats:
Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 6432 (Kbps.)
Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 25 dB 6 dB
Attenuation 53 dB 39 dB
Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 543
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.44 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.44 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3.5 Mbps
on the second test, it's 0.48 with a ping latency of 48.00
Telephone number:
01782******
Phone exchange:
BLYTHE BRIDGE
Estimated line speed:
4.0Mb (This may vary between 3Mb and 5Mb) - Checked on 2014-09-16 15:02:33
Current line speed:
3.5 Mb
So our router thinks we're pulling a good 6mb down lol, well that's wrong. If we're lucky, we get half a meg Sad
tonycollinet
Grafter

Damn - I was hoping someone more knowledgable than me would come along. Never mind, you are stuck with me now.
The good news - You have a 6mb/s connection between your modem and the exchange. This means whatever is going wrong should be fixable.
Most likely is a wrongly set plusnet profile (though the current line speed suggests this is not the problem), or alternatively, possibly exchange contention.
Can you try a speed test in the early morning - which should eliminate exchange contention. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: skezzascholey
I have just moved into a house with a friend and we've ordered Plusnet's no contract broadband with no phone line, figured we didn't really need one as we both have mobiles and both work full time

So who is your phone contract with?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can you also confirm that you ran the speedtest when connected to the router with an ethernet cable, not via wireless?