cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing range

petey

Increasing range

Hi, been with Plusnet 6mths & new to the forum.
We live in an old stone house in the sticks - so constitute the dark side of the digital divide! The router (Technicolor) is installed on the 3rd floor - where we work and we get a good signal immediately below in a bedroom & sittingroom.
However, anywhere else, is on the other side of one (or more) stone walls and so the signal strength is poor to non-existent.
I would very much appreciate some advice/guidance as to the best approach to get a signal thro at least one wall!
Many thanks
Petey
9 REPLIES 9
inhost
Grafter

Re: Increasing range

It is a long post but here you go: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=108698.0
It is an embedded poor quality single antenna, it is terrible.
Don't let anyone tell you "What do you expect for £5" that is not fair as they charge you another £40 - £45 if you cancel for the router so it is not a £5 router, it was probably a back door deal on a golf course to offload cheap rubbish.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given what you describe it might be better to consider the use of home plugs and a wireless access point
inhost
Grafter

I live in a house built in 1732 with 3 feet thick stone walls, adding extra equipment was not the solution, just a different (and cheaper) router.
petey

Inhost - I'm getting the impression your'e not to fond of PN kit then!
That said, you've replaced the bog-standard router - I ought to do the same. What is the model you replaced it with?
I happen to have a HH3 - could I use that - is it any better?
Any details of kit I should consider would be welcome.
Cheers
inhost
Grafter

Haha indeed. Grin
I replaced it with a hh3 from ebay. Smiley
thesawdust
Grafter

You can always link the HH3 to current router, expand the wifi coverage. Use it as an access point?
My FTTC router and wireless is pretty good, however i've also added a Sky Router router to expand wifi range.
petey

So, inhost & sawdust - just how do I a) install the hh3 in our lounge or b) replace the tg582 with the hh3.
I did look to configuring it this way but couldn't get anywhere with the tg582 i/face.
So, a step-by-step (idiots) guide would be useful.
Cheers
thesawdust
Grafter

You need to give the HH3 a new IP, i use 192.168.1.1 and then disable DHCP - I've never used a HH3 so can't tell you how to do so.
Plug CAT5 from tg582 to the HH3 (Port1) then you are good to use HH3 Wireless
petey

Sawdust - you might have missed the 'idiot' reference, but let me see if I understand.
On the HH3, reassign a new IP and disable DHCP so this new IP address always remains.
Hardwire the two routers - what port on the tg582?
Does this then mean that the tg582 hands over wireless functionality to the HH3?
To rework the HH3, do I just access via an ethernet cable?
Do I disable/power-off the 582 while I do this?
Sorry if these are dumb questions, but my IT teeth were cut on Osbornes and Apple Lisas!!!
Cheers