cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased Download speed to 17.53mb/s after rebooting Router. Now 19.38mb/s !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Increased Download speed to 17.53mb/s after rebooting Router. Now 19.38mb/s !!

Friday 25th May
Copper
Last night, I rebooted my router for a specific reason.
After rebooting, my speed has increased from 17.19mb/s previous period, to 17.53mb/s, constant since last night
Whilst not condoning a reboot for no reason, in this case it has had a beneficial result.

I am 466 metres from my local BT Exchange
Since last October, my download speed has consistently increased from 15mb/s month by month.
With a large jump in January this year to 16.77mb/s, where it stayed for 3 months.
Has anyone else on Copper noticed this gradual increase in speeds ?

Low speeds are PN / BT outages where I used a 3G dongle.
7 REPLIES 7
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Increased Download speed to 17.53mb/s after rebooting Router

Thats great mate, thats the way it should be, mine however has gone the opposite, I started off around 13500 sync, and it slowly dropped over the months to 9500 sync, it then shot up to 12500+ sync a few months back and is now dropping again. At the moment it is 10500 sync with a speed of 9000.
I have no idea why it keeps dropping in speed, my connection would stay on all the time if I didn't resync my router every so often, and what bugs me is with my attenuation I should be syncing around 16000 (according to kitz).
Anyway its nice to see someone going faster. Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's gone up again !!
Saturday 26th May 02:20
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The reason for this is simple (in general terms). There are more daylight hours at this time of year and LW & MW radiowave propagation (usually less in daylight) tends to be a bit less, which means you are likely to get better sync when resyncing as there is less interference (noise) to broadband signals. Local conditions can also make a difference. This is all ignoring any line or equipment faults.
If you want to have a better understanding of propagation effects have a read of this item, although it does have an american bias. This article gives information about propogation effects you will have more likely to have experienced because of it's effect on TV reception particularly noticeable in the summer, or for a more in depth item read this one.
On the subject of resyncs, as you've said reboots/resysncs should not be condoned as a matter of course without good reason, this following procedure is a safer way to do these -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here. Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the mdoem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  The reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection.
Edit: You can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My speed is still increasing !!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Friday 1st June   8:06am

OMG.....

19.38mb/s
Copper

History

Can it get any faster ?
I did do a mega 14GB download overnight, did this help bump up my speed ?
Zap
Grafter

Re: Increased Download speed to 17.53mb/s after rebooting Router. Now 19.38mb/s !!

rebooting is fine when it happens occasionally but not to be suggested regularly as they will think something is wrong with your connection and reduce your profile to a lower speed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Increased Download speed to 17.53mb/s after rebooting Router. Now 19.38mb/s !!

Wednesday 13th June 02:10am
OMG.....#2
18.86mb/s
Copper

This is after a 10 minute power cut Monday 10pm.