cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible products on BT line

weenoid

Incompatible products on BT line

Hello there.
I'm attempting to sign up to the Plusnet Extra (broadband only) package but my order is currently on hold as there are "incompatible products" on my BT line. No more information, than this, was given. Has anybody else encountered this problem when trying to sign up to Plusnet?
I've contacted BT and they had no idea what I was on about and stated that the line was working fine (which wasn't actually what I asked). I've just got a basic line rental package from BT, i'm on the Unlimited Weekend Plan.
Any ideas/suggestions as to what my next step should be are more than welcome as i'm currently stumped  :o.
Thanks,
Ashley.
16 REPLIES 16
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Incompatible products on BT line

Hi Ashley,
can you confirm that your BT line is not on the light user scheme?
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That has been replaced by BT Basic which does allow broadband
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi weenoid,
I've been looking into this and been on the phone to our suppliers. The only thing I can advise is that there is an incompatibility with your phone line, as it won't support broadband. Can you call your phone provider and ask them what could be causing this, as we cannot proceed with the order as it is at the moment.
Jojo Smiley
weenoid

Hi Joanne.
I phoned BT this afternoon but I don't think they were quite sure what I was asking. I'll try them again tonight and hopefully get through to someone more helpful.
Is there any more information you can give me other than "an incompatibility"? Bear in mind that the percentage of native-English speaking employees in the BT call centre is very low so it's unlikely i'll get through to someone who can comprehend the word "incompatibility".
Thanks,
Ashley.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm on BT Basic and as Jim said that's not a problem.
Do they still have shared lines? I had one of those way back and you couldn't even have a dial up modem on it. Had to get BT to move my line to another less crowded pole.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do you have any of the things listed here http://www.btteleworker.com/Support.php?page=ADSLapplicationrejections&remote_internet_session=bd82e... or indeed DACS as mentioned above.
An RF filter can screw up broadband but I don't think that would show up as incompatible
prichardson
Grafter

DACS is a supported product when it comes to a signup, as this is a removed (where cost effective) as part of broadband activation. It may however cause delays in activation.
I was initially confused by the incompatible product here as there is an order in progress. But I have no located that there is also an issue with the cancellation of that order.
This is a little confusing, as all things I can see report no issues, though it does record incompatible one the main item needed for DSL. I have raised a query with our suppliers, but presently do not expect a valid response whilst the cancellation is pending. I will raise a new case later if required
weenoid

Hey everyone.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've just received an e-mail from a BT Digital Care Advisor who has advised me to contact the BT Wholesale Broadband Tag Helpdesk to have the incompatible products removed. From what I can gather online though this number is intended for businesses only (as is suggested by the name "BT Wholesale") and they won't deal with the public directly.
I'll try the number tonight anyway and let you know how I get on. The general consensus on other forums seems to be that BT will have put a "tag" on the line preventing a rival ISP from supplying me with broadband. Ofcom guidelines state that BT must remove this "tag" if I request them to do so. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks again,
Ashley.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi weenoid,
The tag that you refer to is with us, as it should be, so don't think it will be anything to do with that. I'll see if I can get one of our provisioning team to look more closely into that.
Jojo Smiley
weenoid

Hi Joanne.
I spoke to BT last night and the third person I got through to said they were aware of a request from Plusnet and whatever was blocking the line should be sorted today (1st November).
This does match up with the date Plusnet originally gave me before they informed me of a problem with "incompatible products" but this may just be a coincidence.
I connected my own Netgear router this morning and it gave me an upload/download speed but was failing some sort of authentication. This may be because my router isn't correctly configured though. I'll try the Plusnet-supplied router when I get home.
Could you confirm that my order has gone through?
Thanks,
Ashley.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ashley,
The order was pending cancellation due to the incompatible product. If you think this is clear now then I will place the order again. If all is ok this can take 5-7 working days to complete.
Jojo Smiley
weenoid

Hi Joanne.
Yes please place the order again. If the order is pending cancellation is it not strange that the router was quoting a download/upload speed?
Thanks,
Ashley.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ashley,
Good news. I've just been speaking to our suppliers and they have said that the order has now been processed and should complete today (any time up until midnight) If you don't get on tonight/when you get home then let me know in the morning and I'll check that it's complete.
Jojo Smiley
weenoid

Hi Joanne.
Yes! Get in! I'll let you know if everything's up and running when I get back.
Thanks for all your help. Everyone at Plusnet has been really helpful. BT on the other hand can go fornicate themselves with a rusty breadknife!  :).
Thanks,
Ashley.