cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound web traffic/port forwarding problem

Davidw

Inbound web traffic/port forwarding problem

Hi All,
I'm trying to set up my Mediacentre PC so that I can connect to it over the internet using the webguide application.  Webguide is installed and works internally on port 1284.
I have also set up a dynamic DNS entry that my router is succesfully updating regularly.
I have set up the services and firewall rules to port forward to my media centre (on its reserved IP)
If I use a PC at home and try to connect to http://myurl.dnydns.org:1284 (url changed to protect the innocent!) then everything works ok and I can see the firewall rule working in the router logs.
The problem is.... If I try to connect from any other internet PC at any other site - nothing.  connections time out.
I have enabled ping response on my router and can demonstrate that the dynamic dns is working ok and ping responds fine.
I have also tried enabling the remote router admin on both ports 1290 and 80 but cannot connect to this either.
Router is on latest firmware.
All I can think is either my router is shafted and wont accept any inbound connections (but then why when I use the URL from my own network (which must hit the WAN interface of the router) does it work??) or force9 is somehow blocking the traffic?Huh
Any help very gratefully received!
Thanks in advance
David
7 REPLIES 7
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Inbound web traffic/port forwarding problem

What do you have the PlusNet firewall set to?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Davidw

Quote from: pjmarsh
What do you have the PlusNet firewall set to?
Phil

Thanks Phil, it was set to High.  Now set to Off.  Didn't realise I had a plusnet firewall!  you live and learn!  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have fixed my problem.  Do chages take a while to work?
Cheers

David
James
Grafter

David,
Have you tried rebooting your router?
Davidw

Quote from: Jameseh
David,
Have you tried rebooting your router?

It was restarted several times last night as I updated the firmware and trying to get the remote admin to work (has exactly the same problem).  I did reset the firewall rules and switch off the remote admin this morning and the router hasn't been reset since.  I could try this evening when I finish work.
the really frustrating thing is that it all seem to work when I'm sat at home.  I can only test it remotely when I come to work!
David
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

James means have you rebooted your router after changing the PlusNet Firewall settings.  The change to the firewall only takes effect when you next connect.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Davidw

Quote from: pjmarsh
James means have you rebooted your router after changing the PlusNet Firewall settings.  The change to the firewall only takes effect when you next connect.
Phil

AH HA!  Right.  Only 5.5 hours of work to wait through now Sad
really appreciate the help on this one!  I'll let you know what happens
David
Davidw

Sorted! Smiley
Thanks very much for your help.
It was the plusnet firewall that had been casuing me problems for months.  I think I compounded the problems last night as I had accidentally removed the reservation for the ip address for my mediacentre so today the firewall rules were pointing to a duff IP address.  I suspect thats why the plusnet firewall rule change didn't work straight away!
Thanks again
David