cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Usage statistics

slowdriver

Inaccurate Usage statistics

We have been away for the last few days - returning on Friday evening. I happened to check the usage on our broadband account and it showed data usage for the days we were away Tuesday through Friday of 2.77GB (Tue), 2.87GB (Wed), 2.55GB (Thur), 2.87GB (Fri). The house has been empty, no computers have been left switched on, but the router was left on.  I can believe that there is a small amount of data interchange between the Plusnet Servers and the router irrespective of whether there is any user generated traffic. But 2GB plus every day, seems to suggest something else is going on. Any ideas from anyone as to what?
6 REPLIES 6
parsons2

Re: Inaccurate Usage statistics

I also had high usage last Tuesday 4.25 GB Apparently for uploads between 10PM AND 11PM when I was asleep.  I hardly use my computer as is shown on my statistics so not very happy.I was advised to change security key but know it is secure. If this continues I will need to change supplier, can anyone recommend an alternative. HP
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@ slowdriver -Just a suggestion......I upgraded my desktop PC to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago -I have recently discovered that it starts itself up to download Win 10 updates EVEN AFTER a full power down -don't suppose that has happened to you ?Huh
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Aside from your computers, were there any other devices in your house that use an internet connection?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
barl

I too have had strange usage readings:
Friday 20th of november showed 1.36MB of usage whilst my computer was off!  & although this is not a large ammount & may be due to network traffiic to my router, the list showed 3% to be Broadband phone calls,( which i never use!)  I have turned off Wireless on the router incase someone is using my router that way!
I have also noticed a huge increase in downloads since I upgraded my desktop PC to Windows 10; exceeding my 10GB monthy contract in September, when I normaly use less than half that!!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I was away last weekend, I have a few devices connected, but was astounded to find over 7GB usage on Sunday, turns out Samknows changed their checks to include Video site checks, plus Microsoft did a fairly big update, have you considered those?
steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you have Windows 10 and connect to your router using a cable, then they do automatic downloads of all security and updates.
If you can choose a wireless connection then disconnect the wired cable and connect using wireless.
Then you need to go into: Settings > Network & Internet
In Wi-Fi click on PlusNetWireless and then Advanced Option under the list of other Wireless connections showing.
And then turn on Metered Connection.
This will stop Windows 10 from automatically downloading all the updates.
You can then download them during the Free period 12 midnight to 8am.