Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Broadband Usage Page ?

Tomplus73
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Inaccurate Broadband Usage Page ?

In 24 hrs time,I'm due to go "unlimited",but thought I would raise this. I watch my usage like a hawk,and in 6 years have never gone over my 10Gb limit (tight fisted git I know Smiley )Anyway,last evening,with  almost 1.5 Gbs of my monthly usage left and only a day or so to go ,thought I would look at 10mins of a video which I'll finish off,next week once I'm on Unlimited.

Anyway,watched 10 mins,ONLY  and when I checked the usage page saw I'd used OVER 1Gig and ofcourse had gone over my 10Gb allowance. Was a bit miffed and got on to one of the Plusnet help team,who was very helpfull (Thanks [CSA Removed]) and said he might be able to get my 5quid "surchage" refunded.

Last thing last night,after midnight,thought I'd test  the usage thingy again,watched another 10 mins of this same video. This morning I see I'd used less than 10 Mgs ! Thats rubbish too. I'd estimate 10 mins of video is about 150-250 Mgbs.            I  rest my case......and hope I get my Fiver back  Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules

2 REPLIES 2
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Inaccurate Broadband Usage Page ?

Hi Tom

Where are you watching this video from?  I would take a guess that it is streaming, and hence will buffer the video.  ie it will start to download the rest of the video whilst you are still watching the beginning part, so it wouldn't really matter how much of it you actually watched at the time, just how much had actually downloaded.

When you've gone back to it after midnight you will have likely been watching it from what had already been downloaded earlier, than it downloading the video again.

Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tomplus73
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Inaccurate Broadband Usage Page ?

Yeah,well I guess it is streaming and buffering.But thing is,Ive done this for years,viz sometimes watch in 10-20 min chunks,partly for bandwidth management and partly,who the hell wants to watch for 90 mins sitting in front of a desktop PC. And I have never,repeat NEVER suffered a a 1 Gig hit like thisShocked