cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In todays fast broadband speeds - what is the lowest I should accept.

got2getatan
Grafter

In todays fast broadband speeds - what is the lowest I should accept.

OK I live in the sticks, about 3 miles from the exchange but for some reason my BB speed has dropped to 1.88 Mbps, upload 0.28 Mbps and ping 0.00 ms. Nothing wrong with my router and I am cable connected to it. Trying to use wifi around the property is a complete nightmare. Any advice please.
9 REPLIES 9
cedlor
Grafter

Re: In todays fast broadband speeds - what is the lowest I should accept.

Bit more info required -  Which exchange are you on? - which router are you using?- What is the best speed you have ever had? Have you tried the quiet line test with a corded phone 17070 option2
is the router plugged into the test socket if you have one  and what type of master socket face plate do you have.
got2getatan
Grafter

Baumber exchange. Asus dsl-n55u. PC connected direct to new master socket. Fibre put to cabinet this year have had no problems with speed or connection, nver fast but workable until the last few weeks. Exchange about 3 miles from me. When I had problems last year I was getting about 3 Mbps and Plusnet said that was the best that I could expect. Have not tried corded phone test, will borrow one. This the second time I have sent this information for some reason I lost my broadband until now only to find it wasn't submitted. Let's try again.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

It might be best to check the phone line out first, for voice quality issues and without mentioning broadband.  BB speeds are to some extent self-fulfilling, if you're line is in poor condition you'll get a slow speed but they won't necessarily treat this as a fault.   
Your line will have gone through a tuning process, during that time the slowest speed maintained in the 10 day period is recorded under the bizarre name of "Maximum Stable Rate" (MSR), and from that figure they derive a "Fault Threshold Rate" which is some fraction of of the MSR.  For example our line normally runs just over 4meg, but according to BT/Plusnet our "Maximum" is 2272, and our Fault Threshold is 1817.  So our speed would have to drop to less than half the normal speed before that could be accepted as a fault on it's own merit.  On the other hand every time we get noise or other issues on the phone line, BT comes out and fixes the voice issue, with corresponding improvement in ADSL performance.
Tony
cedlor
Grafter

Ok  looks like they are going straight from ADSL1 to  Fibre,  exchange doesnt seem to have adsl 2/2+  Is that correct. As you are on a longish line that may ney make much difference other than PN seem to have less tools to enable them to
ttweak it.  I dont know but maybe, whilst the initial FTTC job made no difference, if you have neighbours on the same line from the cabinet who have changed over to fibre, perhaps that may reduce the speed ?  (that is a question for members
who may have experienced this)  I dont know why it should ( crosstalk?)  but just a thought.
Can you post the stats from your router, the BT speed test reslt and your PN line speed - see link below.
Also do you have any extension sockets, in use or not?

got2getatan
Grafter

Thanks for all the help. No extensions just use a cordless into the main socket and as for the router information I'm afraid that I am not much of a techie I just point and pull the trigger.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

this explains how to get the stats - about a third of the way down
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/78-asus-dsl-n55u.html
got2getatan
Grafter

Hi again, Just been talking to Plusnet customer services helpline and to solve any speed issue they have put Fibre Optic on the table for another £9+ per month. What do you think and would my Asus DSL-N55U support this.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It isn't suitable
Regarding £9 extra that isn't a good deal
If you seriously intend to go to fibre you need to contact Customer Options - number in my sig - and select the "I am thinking of leaving option"
HOWEVER
There are several things you need to do first
What speeds are shown here for fibre http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
Decide whether you want the 80/20 service or the 40/2 service (do you need the higher upstream speed) as there is a £5 per month difference in base cost
Find out why your speeds are rotten because if the problem is between you and your cab or then it will carry over onto fibre
Please post the stats I requested earlier
Noise Margin, Speed and Attenuation are the main ones
got2getatan
Grafter

Took your advice, slept on it and compared  what Plusnet and  BT are offering and have decided to pay the £75 termination fee and move to BT. Thanks