cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Practice, What is Plusnet Unlimited Really Like?

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

In Practice, What is Plusnet Unlimited Really Like?

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am looking at the 'Plusnet Unlimited' package. I understand that the package has a truly unlimited usage allowance which sounds excellent. However, I understand that there is traffic management. I wouldn't mind this, but in practice, how much does this actually effect your online experience? Has it made any difference to watching YouTube, downloading, streaming, etc?
Yours faithfully,
Alec Robertson.
16 REPLIES 16
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: In Practice, What is Plusnet Unlimited Really Like?

I've just posted on my experience here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111369.msg954728.html#msg954728
In summary I was downloading at full line speed, gaming and streaming at the same time without any issues at all. That's because the traffic management gave priority to my gaming and streaming to ensure they performed as they should.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Dear Sir,
In response to very polite communication we can advise that it wouldn't affect anything unless you were doing several things at once on your connection then the lower priority ones would give way to the higher priority ones.
Yours faithfully,
Oldjim
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Dear Oldjim and Chris,
Thank you very much for your very quick response to my query. It looks like I will soon be signing for your services (at some point today I hope). Chris, may I ask, if one ordered today, when would the broadband go live (at the earliest)?
Yours faithfully,
Alec Robertson.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

One question (well actually more than one)
Are you considering fibre or ADSL
Are you migrating from another suppler - if so do you have a MAC already or is it LLU
If you aren't migrating is it an existing phone line or a new line.
If a new line is there an existing phone line without a dial tone or no line at all
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Dear Oldjim,
In response to your query:
Are you considering fibre or ADSL - I am considering ADSL as I believe that Fibre is not currently available.
Are you migrating from another suppler - if so do you have a MAC already or is it LLU - We have just been given a MAC by our current ISP Zen.
If you aren't migrating is it an existing phone line or a new line. - Not available (kindly see the previous response).
If a new line is there an existing phone line without a dial tone or no line at all - Not available (kindly see the response to Are you migrating from another suppler).
Yours sincerely,
Alec Robertson.
Chris
Legend

Migration in to us on ADSL with a valid MAC should take 5 working days assuming you choose to pay the initial charge by card rather than direct debit.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Dear Alec,
That makes it easier for the staff to answer.
Unfortunately I haven't a clue as to the present timescale but it should be in days rather than weeks
Yours sincerely,
Oldjim
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Dear Chris,
Thank you once again for responding so quickly. On the order page, I have the option of getting activated 'As soon as possible' or '4 Feb 2013'. I presume I should choose 'As soon as possible' or will it not make very much difference in practice?
Yours faithfully,
Alec Robertson.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Dear Sir/Madam,
I understand that Plusnet Unlimited includes a free modem router. Is this modem router good or should I get something else?
Yours faithfully,
Alec Robertson.
pengbo
Grafter

I went with the free router even though I had a similar one with BE that I didn't like (it had to go back to BE they were welcome to it) simply so I could have plusnets reference setup TG582n / BT modem but I always planned to replace the TG582n with something better as I have other things I need to work plus wasn't convinced the vigor 2910VG would be up to the bandwidth (was proved very right there).
So if you don't mind having another router around to test with my view is it doesn't hurt to get it.  You can alwyas replace it at a later date if you feel the need to.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

stick with the one you are using on Zen
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Dear Oldjim and pengbo,
Thank you very much for responding so quickly. Oldjim, if I may, what makes this Plusnet router so bad in your opinion?
Chris
Legend

Alec, you've had the service before and I'm sure we've supplied routers to you previously. We still supply the same model.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Dear Chris,
I am afraid I don't quite understand. This was previously an account belonging to my mother, however, since we left Plusnet, the account is used by me. Therefore, I have had not had the service before or any experience of this forum, before this forum account was taken over by me.