Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving speed?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Improving speed?

If the SNRM down is still 8dB then do the Disconnect, Powerdown, 10 minutes off, method of resync. It should put the sync speed back up but complete this at least an hour before sunset.
PS. when I say stats, I generally mean a text copy and paste of the DSL connection stats as per reply #22,  but what's in your last post will do for this one.
supernova1
Grafter

Hi AO,
Router now connected through faceplate, I've added an extra filter on the telephone.
Just for interest I quickly connected my DSO on the line "my"side" with no router or telephone connected - 50 Hz @ 2vP-P (image attached)
I can't see the humm originating from my house as the cable exits within 1m of the faceplate and no mains cables near.
So the $1M questions are:-
What might be causing the phone disconnect problem.
What could be the source of the hummmmm.
What can be done about it. Cheesy Grin
ATB
SN
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair):
Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol:
G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate:
1792 kbps
Upstream Rate:
448 kbps
Channel:
Interleaved
Current Noise Margin:
6.0 dB (Downstream), 14.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation:
63.0 dB (Downstream), 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power:
17.1 dBm (Downstream), 12.3 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information:
PVC Info:
0/38
Anotherone
Champion

Who is your phone provider? Is it also Plusnet?
That's not good. You haven't got a sub-station in your back garden then? Grin   Does the phone line go underground or overhead and if the latter, does it share poles with electricity cables? Do any high voltage cables that feed local power supply transformers pass anywhere near the line at all?
The DSO.- Is the the ground side of the signal input isolated from mains earth or connected to it?
Have you got a DVM at all?
This clearly needs looking at more closely.
supernova1
Grafter

My provider is Plusnet.
Don't have a substation in the garden, but I do have a Dilithium-Antimatter-Fusion-Reactor in the shed  Grin
There are no overhead LV or  HV cables within 1/2mile (33kv on poles).
Phone line exits house at low level, up the side of the house to overhead to pole across the street.
I think the DSO ground is isolated from earth, I did test with the i/p reversed, the noise was the same.
I have Fluke DVM.
ATB
SN
Anotherone
Champion

Check the DSO ground is isolated, because a phone line is balanced (and an earth would clearly upset it ).
Likewise check the DVM and if that's isolated you could see if you get a comparable RMS reading from that in due course.
If you have a spare phone lead, that is one with a BT plug on it, you could plug it into the filter and access the line via the filter, but may be try it daylight hours when the SNRM is above 6/6.5 just in case it causes the sync to drop.
PS. you could use your Dilithium-Antimatter-Fusion-Reactor as a UPS for the modem/router Wink
supernova1
Grafter

You were right - DSO ground is connected to earth.
DVM = 50mV RMS and measures a frequency of 50Hz Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

Bit of an improvement on 2Vpk-pk. Wink
supernova1
Grafter

Yup, 50mv still hums though Tongue
I'd still like to fix the phone call disconnect problem though. Anything more I can do this end?
ATB
SN
Anotherone
Champion

Can you borrow another modem/router? Ought to rule that out as a possible reason for the drops when the phone rings. The hum may be a separate problem, but as the line test results didn't have the capacitance figures, can't come to any definite conclusions on that right now.
supernova1
Grafter

Hi AO.
I have severalDG384 routers but these always connect at a lower sync speed than the 2 wire - this might mask the telephone problem?Huh
I've ordered a Billion 7800N, which should be here today or tomorrow and I'll be able to run some tests over the W/E.
ATB
SN
Anotherone
Champion

I expect you meant DG834's  Wink    How much slower? Is any of them a v4 or a GT? I wouldn't have expected a slower speed to "mask" a drop problem.
supernova1
Grafter

The DG834 I have are v2 v3 and a V5. - The V5 connected at about 1400kbs - there was a noticeable increase when using the 2 wire up to a 'whopping' 1800 to 2000kbs' ish.
New router just arrived so playtime later.
ATB
SN
Anotherone
Champion

Ah ha. Look forward to that. btw the v5 isn't too well thought of, how did the v3 do?
supernova1
Grafter

Can't remember how the V3 performed, might have been back in the days of max 500kbs at my address.
Anotherone
Champion

Catch you later anyway.