cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Wifi signal

jonp

Improving Wifi signal

Hi. I am a very happy plusnet customer (have been since 2016) . I am wanting to install a wifi security camera to the outside of my property, however I know I will be at the very limit of the current wifi signal from my plusnet router.

I cannot change the current position of the router.

I have done some research and reckon there are 4 options for improving the wifi signal: signal booster, range extender, mesh network & finally pwerline adaptor. Of these I think the power line adaptor is the best option for me, as I can run the ethernet connection to the 1st powerline adaptor plug straight from the back of the plusnet router (yellow socket channel 1). The router is plusnet hub one type.

However before investing in the kit I wanted to check if there was anything that anyone on the forum would recommend? 

Sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere. Many thanks in anticipation.

Best Wishes Jon 

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Improving Wifi signal

The best solution is to run Ethernet cable all the way or at least closer to the camers location. If the camera is wireless then put a wireless access point on the end of the Ethernet cable. If you have another router kicking about you may be able to configure this as a WAP. If you look you may find a route for a CAT5e cable. I wired my house through a very tortuous route that included taking the cable outside, up into the loft back through built in wardrobes etc. Non of it is visible and it works 100% reliably. Putting fixed wall sockets on the ends makes it look a professional job. It's also a cheap solution.

Before going down the powerline route you may find this useful.  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Mesh is a very expensive option.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jonp

Hi Baldrick1

Thank you so much for the quick reply and your link to the very in-depth trial you did of powerline options. Looking at my fuse board i am already realising that my proposed location for the second socket of the power line adapter would be on a different circuit within the electrics of my very old cottage. I am not good with electrics or tech kit so would not like to consider undertaking anything as complex as what you did there! I also fully agree that the mesh is way to expensive for me.

So i am very keen to progress with the ethernet cable option. I assume i would just run an ether net cable out of socket 1 (yellow body) on the back of my Plusnet Hub one router? I can do this and conceal the cable run via skirting boards etc. I will have to get this up stairs via an existing convenient wiring hole run. I can literally take this to the attic room in which the camera will be mounted on the external wall. This bit all seems straight forward, or is there more to it than this? 

The camera is definitely wireless. However it also might have a hard wired ethernet point. So I have a couple of further questions:

If the camera is wireless what is a "wireless access point" that you mention in your reply? could you send me a link to an example? And is it as simple as just plugging it into the ethernet cable?

If the camera does have a hard wired ethernet point will i need to do anything to the ethernet cable to make it weather proof? or is there and "outdoor spec cable" available? 

Thanks again for your support with my questions.

Best Wishes Jon 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Hi Jon,

don't get too confused with my Powerline tests. The important issue is whether the mains sockets are on the same circuit group.

There is nothing complex with using Ethernet cable. You plug one end into a yellow LAN socket and the other end into a WAP. Here is an example.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=lp_430580031_1_1...

An option is to adapt a router to use it in this mode. I have an old Netgear router that I have set up in this mode so if you want a cheaper option just go onto Ebay and see what cheap wireless routers are around then do a google search to see if it can be configured as an Access Point.

In terms of cabling you have two options. If you can lose spare cable in the loft then buy a length of CAT5e cable ready terminated with plugs, you can use CAT6 but you don't need the extra performance and it costs more. . These cables need a hole about half an inch diameter for installation through walls etc. If this is impracticable then buy some CAT 5e Ethernet cable and run that. You need a special tool to put plugs on this and I have had problems with a cheap tool. I therefore suggest that you terminate this with sockets, here is an example https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-modules-outlets/41869-cat6-utp-rj45-modules-with-faceplate.html?i... these have idc terminals so you need a cheap insertion tool to press the cable cores into position, some sockets may come with one bundled with the socket. You then need to get a couple of short Ethernet patch cables to make the final connection at each end.

If the camera is going outside it will probably be wireless. Ethernet plugs are not normally waterproof.

If you need more help do come back.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jonp

Hi Baldrick 1 

Thanks again for getting back to me with such clear advice and the links. Sorry for the delay in replying, we have a 9 week old infant that is keeping us busy!!! Cheesy

The links are also really useful. for simplicity i will definitely go for the wireless access point. 

I am lucky that with the areas i need to route the cable i should be okay with pre-terminated plugs 🐵 again this keeps it simple.

I have been in contact with the camera manufacturer and they said any of my 4 original suggestions should improve the wifi and that i should contact my internet provider for the best option! Hence why i am on the plusnet forum. Your info has been spot on. I am now going to wait until the camera arrives, then locate it in the proposed position and see if the camera connects okay to the wifi.

If not then i will start making holes in the wall and lifting up carpet to run the ethernet cable ;o)) 

As the cottage has very thick walls i will aim to get the wireless access point mounting on the internal side of the wall which will have the camera mounted on the external face. 

I will also investigate the option to plug the camera direct into the ethernet cable!

I will keep you posted on how i get on.

thanks again for all your help

I will keep you posted