Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Line But Chasing Errors

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Improving Line But Chasing Errors

Since this dry spell started (3 to 4 weeks) I seem to be getting an increasing number of errors on my line. We're talking 20,000 plus crc errors a day. I understand that on a longish line up to 5000 is ok? I used to get maybe around 1000-2000. The errors coming in seem unrelated to whether the SN Margin is high or low. Even when the line was banded at 3000 for a while, with a SN Margin of 18, the errors still rattled in. I'm assuming these errors are the main cause of the line drops I get? Every couple of days or a couple of times a day. Apart from the line dropping the errors don't really seem to effect anything with pages loading fast with a good line speed.
I tried getting the ring wire removed. That had a good result in that the bandwidth went up to around 6,800 from the previous in the low 4000's.  Also my SN Margin goes up and down in the evening, like most others, and that seems improved as well as it appears to rise and fall at a much more even steady rate without any sudden wavers. But no effect on the error rate.
Now to see if I can improve matters further I've bitten the bullet (finally following Joanne's advice) and run an Ethernet cable down to the first socket (old style no test). Now with everything disconnected apart from one phone and the router through a new filter figures again improve.
5pm connection.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:46
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 7,904
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 42.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 6.5
I'm hoping the error rate will improve as well as the connection stability. I can't say I have a lot of faith in BT's maintenance as a few of the green line boxes around here have their doors swinging open in the wind. One even has a door off with all the wiring totally exposed to the weather. Things like that must be effecting peoples lines.
As said apart from the occasional line dropping, with the threat of the DRM bogeyman hanging over me, speeds are great.
With the BT test showing IP Profile of 6973 Kbps and a download speed of 7773 Kbps
More realistically the My Broadband speed test showing 6775 kbps.
Errors or not that's still much more than twice the best speed of what I was getting a month ago or anything I've got since I joined Plusnet. Smiley

3 REPLIES 3
billnotben
Community Veteran

Re: Improving Line But Chasing Errors

On the first socket connection the error rate dropped dramatically to around the 6000 per 24 hours (and amazingly BT repaired their street line boxes). Also on this socket the SN Margin wavers up and down less than half of what it used too.
I wonder if ip mismatches causes more errors? When I was on the IP Profile of 6973 Kbps, Plusnet was showing 3500. Then for some reason it just changed to a normal profile of 6500 with Plusnet matching this. This seemed to coincide with another error drop to around 4000 which is normal (for me) on this line.
Line has now changed to 6940 (BT seem to be random experimenting with these odd ip's) but at least this time Plusnet are sort of matching it on 7000.
I'm still surprised how much things have improved just by making a few small changes. Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi billnotben,
I changed it to 7000 to compensate for the IP profile.
Jojo Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran

Thanks for that Joanne, and your sound advice (which I stupidly ignored up until now).