cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important news for Dynamic DNS users of dyndns.org / dyn.com

Thunderclap
Grafter

Important news for Dynamic DNS users of dyndns.org / dyn.com

Some of you may be using the Dynamic DNS (DDNS) feature on your router as a way of identifying your home network, or other IP device, using a personalised hostname - for example you use {myrouterathome}.dyndns.me.uk for your VPN connection.
For those using the DDNS service provided by DYN.COM, which is typically all Netgear Routers referencing DynDNS.org [under the Dynamic DNS heading], you need to know that your hostname may expire without notice.
As of April, Dyn.com requires all users of their free DDNS service to log onto their Dyn.com account once a month. I assume this just means logon, do nothing, and logoff again. This handshake is necessary to remove what they call dormant accounts; even though the router or other IP device is logging on once a day and updating the host I.P. address. If you do not logon, your personalised hostname is likely to be expired without notice. A warning email may not be sent; the hostname just vanishes off the web after a month of inactivity. Those using paid accounts will not need to do this.
This message, on Yahoo sports of all places, explains the situation :
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/sfk-manifest/message/764
You can spot an expired DDNS account as the router's log will show "unknown host" on the DDNS update attempt. When trying to access your router or home LAN from the outside world (WAN), the browser will show a message like "Server not found" or "The remote name could not be resolved" - even though this morning it worked perfectly!
If this happens to you (I was called on to fix someones DG834 router), log onto your Dyn.com account at
https://account.dyn.com/entrance/  and recreate the original hostname. All settings on the router will remain untouched unless, a new hostname and or password is chosen.

Have a nice day  Cool
This intel for the PlusNet Community was provided surcharge free
3 REPLIES 3
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Important news for Dynamic DNS users of dyndns.org / dyn.com

So far the "reminder" system for free DynDNS has worked for me. It's quite useful - mainly because I can ping my router by name while on holiday and if it replies I know the electricity is on at home! We have an oversensitive RCD that very occasionally trips for no obvious reason. If no reply to the ping, I can call a neighbour to reset it and save our freezer contents and the tropical fish.
But here's a thought - PlusNet must have a list of the IPs assigned to each user,  could they run a DNS server (or whatever) so I could ping "myusername.plus.net" to see if my router was alive? I don't really need a fixed IP or the Pro DynDNS service
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

For a one-off £5, why not just take the fixed IP?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

OK I have. It was just a thought ...