cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impatient for broadband activation!

ilford
Dabbler

Impatient for broadband activation!

I signed up for Plus.net broadband a few days ago, my activation date is 15/6/10.
But since this morning my router has shown a green light for the phone line, but a red light for the internet.
What does this mean?
I have reset the router (an old Belkin) to factory defaults, entered my username / password as per instructions, and it is showing a downstream rate of 7616, upstream rate of 448 suggesting that BT has activated the line at the exchange. But no IP address...
I've read on this forum that Plus.net's equipment should automatically notice the login attempt and activate my connection. Is this true?
22 REPLIES 22
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Impatient for broadband activation!

I've read on this forum that Plus.net's equipment should automatically notice the login attempt and activate my connection. Is this true?

That is correct, however it is worth noting that the routing between you and Plusnet may not have been completed by BT, this should clear either on or before the 15/6/10,
All i can suggest is leaving it connected, it will keep trying Smiley see if it connects. else its a waiting game until the 15th Smiley
ilford
Dabbler

Oh I see, hadn't thought of that  Smiley Just have to be patient until the 15th...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ilford,
If the router is in sync but you're unable to connect due to username and password it might be that the order has finished but not been closed off - if that's the case we can activate your account early if you like, just let us know. If you do you need to be aware that we can't raise any faults until the order is closed, and that you'll start paying subscription from the day the account is activated.
Hope that helps,
ilford
Dabbler

Thanks, that would be great  Smiley
Should I open a ticket or phone?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ilford,
That's now active for you Smiley
ilford
Dabbler

Thanks a lot, it's up and running now.  Grin
[Very impressed with Plusnet so far...]
ilford
Dabbler

Can I ask something else? The router is showing a downstream rate of 7616 kbps, but speedtester.bt.com is showing an IP profile of 2000 Kbps. I had signed up for the "Up to 20Mb" service as the exchange is ADSL2+ enabled.
Do I have to wait for the 10 days to be over before this will be sorted out?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It most likely won't take the full 10 days to update, but by the same token it's probably worth rebooting once a day between 10am and 3pm so the exchange kit picks up the sync rate each time - that should hurry things along for you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Matt,
Does it require manual intervention to change over to ADSL2+ or is that upgrade order automatic after successful activation
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good point and sorry ilford, I missed that bit. I can place the order to move you onto the up to 20Mb now if you like - not sure why that didn't happen in the first place.
ilford
Dabbler

Yes please, that would be great  Wink Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Happy to report that it'll be done by the 23rd Smiley
ilford
Dabbler

Great news, thanks  Smiley
ilford
Dabbler

Got connected to ADSL2+ today, line is synching at 16379 downstream, 888 upstream. However, my download speed is still only 6359kbps which is no faster than plain ADSL. Will this improve over the next few days?
Have attached the BT Speedtester results and router stats. I am surprised the "Output power" in the upload speed is 0... is this anything to worry about?
Thanks.