cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im taking back my Internet!!!

Evilgenius
Grafter

Im taking back my Internet!!!

With your help, hopefully. Im sick of the teens in my house sucking up all the bandwidth downloading what ever it is they're downloading.
I want to setup some QOS rules via my Voyager 2110 router. Can you guys help me on that please?
Please help fill out this form for say an app like Bittorrent or Lime wire or any other resource hogging app. I play alot of EVE-online and Teamspeak comms app so i need all the bandwidth i can get.
Ive tried a limewire one.. im unsure if its correct tho..

9 REPLIES 9
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: Im taking back my Internet!!!

Well, providing that your son/daughter has an IP address of 192.168.1.4 then the rule you have added is A-OK. If this is the case, I would assign IP addresses manually rather than statically, this way it saves the problem of someone else being "traffic managed" when the lease on the address expires?
The problem I think you will have is that with apps like bittorrent etc, there is no fixed port the app will use as such so its pretty difficult to block.
I do have one solution though, adding a traffic managment PC to the network, although I would imagine that you probably wouldnt want to do that!
Scott
Evilgenius
Grafter

well ive set the lease to expire in 1 year from today, im guessing that will be okay then.
Im not sure how this works, i assume when im not doing anything my kids using say limewire will be fine to download, but once i use my MMO and Teamspeak comms i suspect theyre download will be throttled or my packets take precedence?
is that correct?
mcgurka
Grafter

yes, that is correct, there may be a slight lag just while the router adjusts traffic flows, but your packets ( I would set traffic rules for them to push to high priority) will simply be dealt with before lower priority.
Evilgenius
Grafter

ahh nice one PJ, but i need to allow them some scope,, albeit a restricted one when im playing games online!
many thanks.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's a very long time since Bit Torrent didn't allow user configuration of ports. That range is just for people who don't know how to prevent firewalling. Given that they are behind a NAT firewall they have either
a) amended the router to port forward
b) suffer from severe restrictions, due to NAT.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mcgurka
Grafter

Just had a thought. Why not setup the filter for 192.168.1.4 as follows
--Son or Daughter--
Source IP: 192.168.1.4
Dest IP: Any
Source Port: Any
Dest Port: Any
Priority Low
--You--
Source IP: 192.168.1.2
Priority High
These rules should prioritise only the outbound traffic, if you want to add the inbound, add the following rules. This gets around the ports problem by slowing down all traffic to and from the limewire machine, 0-65535 is the full range of available ports
--Son or Daughter--
Source IP: Any
Dest IP: 192.168.1.4
Priority Low
--You--
Dest IP: 192.168.1.2
Priority High
Damfoose
Grafter

Having had the same sort of problem with a 13 yr old sucking up bandwidth,
I threw out the router and replaced it with an old PC and threw smoothwall on it this now does everything needed especially stoping him DL things and getting to P**N sites.
Smoothwall dot org if you want to have a look been a big help as it also scans for nasties trying to come in via the web , e-mail , or his favorite toy MSN Sad
Evilgenius
Grafter

Quote from: mcgurka
Just had a thought. Why not setup the filter for 192.168.1.4 as follows
--Son or Daughter--
Source IP: 192.168.1.4
Priority Low
--You--
Source IP: 192.168.1.2
Priority High
These rules should prioritise only the outbound traffic, if you want to add the inbound, add the following rules. This gets around the ports problem by slowing down all traffic to and from the limewire machine, 0-65535 is the full range of available ports
--Son or Daughter--
Dest IP: 192.168.1.4
Priority Low
--You--
Dest IP: 192.168.1.2
Priority High

Great minds think alike! This revelation came to me last night as I was switching off my PC and heading to bed. I will implement your idea later today and test it.
back later with good news hopefully.
mcgurka
Grafter

Hah! Great minds most certainly do think alike, I reckon that will solve your worries, but if not, drop me a PM, and I will go dig out some material on the voyager and custom traffic fltering I have kicking about somewhere  Smiley