cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im back :) More downtime

abstruse21
Grafter

Im back :) More downtime

Well it has been a while since I was last here. Some of you probably remember my 75 long days waiting and 11 engineers to get my line set up and working.
I figured that seeing as it is currently 6 days with my new fault I might as well drop this in here also, see if the community has some better answers again.
Around the time of the mass outage Saturday my internet died. In my case I completely lost the light for broadband on the router. No green, no red, no intermittent.
11 hours later I managed to get through to plusnet (I accept a LOT of people were trying to get through to them at this point) and explained the situation. They said wait until the current outage was resolved which I did.
I was greeted by a message on my next call saying the issue was fixed and to reboot the router etc or visit the website to submit a ticket. Clearly not something I was able to do.
I got through to support after an hour and a half and was told there was degradation on my line but because BTO were currently fixing a fault on my exchange it was probably that causing my problems and it was due to be fixed by 5.32 and 29 seconds.
At 10pm I finally got through to them again to tell them my fault still persisted to be told the fault at the exchange had actually been rectified the day before at half 5.. so they ran a more thorough line test and told me I was out of sync and booked an engineer.
As per my previous history with this line, no engineer materialised. Back to plusnet.
Notified engineer did not arrive as BTO never sent one. However they had now identified another fault on at the exchange. An optic card needed replacing and would arrive at 11.15, an engineer had been tasked and all would be well by the end of the day.
That was yesterday. Gavin in support has been as helpful as he can and as days have passed the call waiting times have become a little more bearable (still not what was promised back when they opened the new call centre) but manageable.
However it is still a different story and explanation everytime I call (I also acknowledge a LOT of this is just BTO being their usual selves and if they are sending out any of the engineers (bar one or two) who attempted to fix my last problem then god help me this could be another 75 day issue!). A lot of the suggested issues do not seem to ring correct. After-all no broadband light AT ALL.. no red. no intermittent. nothing. Router reports no adsl on my line. And each 'fix' BTO implement changes the status not a bit.
It is worth noting that when I first came to Plusnet setting up my internet knocked my neighbour's off. Previously when they had theirs first installed the farm house lost theirs. In fact my neighbour's have since had satellite broadband installed as every time one of us got a fix another lost their connection.
Also worth noting that although I lost my internet service around the time of the major outage, BTO were actually out at the exchange working on another job/problem.
I highly suspect its another case of doing work for one person and killing mine in the process. I wouldn't be surprised if they have stolen my wires/connection in the exchange again to use for someone else.. as they have repeatedly done in the past in our area.
This currently puts my broadband connection since original installation date at 81 days offline since Late January and I will probably be waiting for yet another engineer before we get this issue fixed once again. Not a brilliant performance and substantially closer to me killing the service altogether and forking out the cost of satellite broadband installation and removing the home phone line as my neighbour has now done.
On a side note, the entire time the broadband did work it was quite stable with one annoying factor. Once or twice a day my pages refuse to load or I get kicked out of my Destiny online session or my wife gets interrupted halfway through a program on iPlayer.. every day (We can only do one or the other usually - my connection wont stand her on iPlayer and me on my Xbox at the same time as a rule..) . The internet light remains green throughout and the only resolution is to shut down the router, unplug. leave it a while. Turn it back on on. Sometimes this is a rinse and repeat issue.
Now while my router is in the coolest location in the house and our rickety old farm house is not a warm place to live! the router always seems unnecessarily hot (both when functioning correctly and when not doing so). As someone who works with business IT networks on a routine basis I do have occasion to reboot, replace and otherwise handle a fair amount of routers and this is hotter than I would expect. Unfortunately I have rarely come across this basic model working primarily with businesses so it may be quite normal for this router to sit at temperature and the rebooting issue may be unrelated.
Sorry for the long essay but from experience I tend to receive a wealth more information from the community than on telephone support and things seem to get updated more often and with better detail / explanation here.
Thanks if you got through all of that.
7 REPLIES 7
abstruse21
Grafter

Re: Im back :) More downtime

Quick update.
Thanks to Gavin for getting back to me again.. he says he has been informed by OR that the fault has been fixed as of an hour ago.
He told them that it hasn't. They insisted it has.
He has just informed me he has run a test and we are still out of synch. Phoned home to my wife who confirms still no broadband link light at all. She has rebooted and unplugged 3 times.
PN are going to now argue my case and send screenies of the results to OR and book an engineer for tomorrow whether OR like it or not.
Hoping they actually send one this time instead of just deciding they don't need to like last time.
Aled
Dabbler

Sorry to hear of this abstruse21,
I've had a look over the fault notes and the engineer is definitely booked in for tomorrow morning. It's interesting to hear that other people have issues when other faults are fixed - it's something that can be really difficult to prove to Openreach. Hopefully that's a red herring though, and BT's notes actually suggest that some equipment has been upgraded.
I wouldn't worry about the router for now as they can get a little warm, we don't suspect it to be the problem. Getting your speed faster post fault is unlikely though, I'm afraid; purely because of the length of the line.
Ultimately, since you're out of synch, we'll find out more once the engineer visits tomorrow. I've given myself a reminder to check up on your account tomorrow lunchtime to see how you're getting on.
The call queues do get a lot longer when there's an outage so I'm sorry that you've had to hang about waiting for us to answer.
Cheers,
Aled
abstruse21
Grafter

Thank you Aled.
The router issue isnt really a huge deal. Only to my team-mates when we are playing online and I suddenly drop out.. They cant cope without me I suspect because I'm so good at the game ;).
Joking aside, I am rarely far from the router to reboot it and it happens about the same time of evening (though once or twice at other times of the day).
In reality I suspect it is the very long night freight train passing (they frequently stop it on the tracks near me for whatever reasons require big hammers and revving the guts out of it) in the late evenings. And by nearby we are probably talking a couple of hundred yards or so. This would seem the most likely culprit more so than the router getting warm but I thought I would ask if these routers are prone to being hot just in case.
I am expecting an engineer this morning but lets face it, I have had a lot of long waits for engineers that do not show up. (Completely out of your control I know!)
As as for wait times. Well their aren't any when you call me which is what has been happening recently so I cannot really moan about that anymore either!
I have resigned myself that slow speeds are inevitable being so far from the exchange. And other than forking out a lot of money for capped satellite broadband there is little I can do about that. That said, a decision on that would depend on whether I suffer many more outages and whether OR can ever get their game together when these failures do happen.
As for faults occurring on one persons line when any other person locally has a line installed or fixed, this has been a recurring issue for many years here. I have not spoken to anyone locally that isn't aware of at least one other person suffering outages when any other person has a fault fixed or line installed. (Bear in mind I live in quite a remote location with a small population and unfortunately/fortunately? everyone knows everyone else's business). This was apparently a cause for discussion long before I moved out here and my neighbour's warned me prior to having a line installed that issues would arise the moment I did. Unfortunately for them it was their service that went down when mine was installed.
Hopefully however, today's engineer will resolve things and I can get back to workingand gaming and the wife can be happy shopping online again or reading gossip or looking for a new husband with better broadband or whatever she does on there.
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi abstruse21
Fingers crossed that the engineer resolves the matter for you today, and please keep us updated with any progress.
Regards
Matt
abstruse21
Grafter

Engineer is at the property.
Has resolved any issue with line but still not working. Has connected his own router using our cables and filter and it works at about 1.3 (usual speed is about 1.9 before they fiddled with the exchange this week) Reconnected our router and no signal detected.
So the issues with the router seeming too hot with the frequent disconnects may have been the router after all as now it is essentially dead. Only the wifi network appears to work in it.
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi abstruse21
Glad to hear the engineer turned up.
To confirm, I have just ordered a replacement router for you, which (Fingers crossed) will be with you by tomorrow
As soon as we can establish a stable connection, we can look to get the speeds back up for you, but the priority at the moment is clearly to get you a aworking connection
Regards
Matt
Aled
Dabbler

Hi abstruse21,
Oh dear, nothing like being proven wrong!  Embarrassed
I'll keep the ticket open to make sure you get back online when the router arrives - just to make sure. I've blocked the husband hunting websites in my router to stop that from happening, still hitched touch wood...
The long line bit is something you sometimes have to live with, but we can look at the health of the line in full once you're back up and running.
Have a good weekend,
Aled