Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If the Milk man delivered an empty bottle of milk every day would you be Happy

DialupDSL
Hooked

If the Milk man delivered an empty bottle of milk every day would you be Happy

More of a rant than a help request

Posting this from an incredible 284kbps adsl connection

A week ago I had at worst a 2.5mbps internet connection however we had issues with using streaming services for TV.

Having decided the router was around 5 years old I bought a new router, however it required a modem so I set the old router up as a modem to work with the new router and was able to monitor traffic on the network. I discovered that the 4 windows 10 computers on the network were using a ridiculous amount of data and set about trying to stop them. In the meantime the old router acting as a modem was dropping the connection to the new router. I bought another router with a built in modem and tried this in bridge mode as a modem for the new router, the same issues continued however when I looked at the connection speed it was lower than before. I tried new filters and just using the new router with modem as a the router for the network by the time I had finished troubleshooting and ordered a dedicated modem for the new router the internet connection was down to 1mbps.

I connected the new router with the new dedicated modem and was able to monitor traffic, the windows computers were no longer eating. I tried to use chat to inform Plusnet of my current problem the chat session dropped out or was closed. I was able to save a transcript that was missing most of the transcript. A day later with nothing appearing to happen I managed to some how raise a support ticket online this was answered 24 hours later with advice to try different filters, different routers and try plugging into the test socket, as my support ticket had pointed out I had tried new filters and a modem, I can only presume it wasn't read and a standard email was issued. In the line test it claimed 10 disconnections in the last 24 hours this would have been me connecting the modem to every possible form of adsl at the exchange as my line was down to 1mbps. I connected the new combined modem and router to the test socket (as advised) the line would now only connect at about 0.5mbps I left this overnight. The test socket is behind a corner suite in the front room so as you can imagine the room was a mess. I read the test report it mentioned the line being banded when looking into this I discovered that rebooting a router is a bad thing the DLM at the exchange picks this up every time as an error and slows the connection. 24 hours later with no news from Plusnet I gave them a ring the help-full chap explained banding to me but said there was nothing he could do I would just have to wait a few days. The support ticket had said calling them was the quickest way to get things resolved it would appear not.

I described the plight of the front room and that all of the routers I have work and I needed to put the room back to normal not leave it as it was. Unfortunately one more disconnect was too much and the line was once again banded so now I have a connection that's close to dial-up speed. I haven't heard anything more from Plusnet so friendly as they are they obviously don't care.

I have asked on the ticket to have the DLM reset and on the phone yesterday the line has been stable for 19 hours now it would have been longer but after putting up with 248k for 7 hours I couldn't help but get the modem off adsl 2 and onto adsl 2+ it made no difference oops.

I am now resisting the temptation to reboot the modem and am off to buy a mobile data sim.

Consumer internet connections in the UK are junk there should be a minimum speed not a max one written into the contract and a limited time to get problems resolved or pay compensation. It would also be help full to know that your speed will be reduced if you try to troubleshoot a a problem.

The milk man never delivers an empty bottle of milk but UK ISP's seem to think its fair policy

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: If the Milk man delivered an empty bottle of milk every day would you be Happy

@DialupDSL wrote:

More of a rant than a help request

I agree.

Unfortunately PN and Openreach will be unmoved by the fact that your living room looks untidy. Also, it will be very difficult to resolve the problem if you keep dropping the line and playing with the configuration.

First of all what should your line support? Go to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post your results here. Next do a bt speed test from the master socket: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ including the additional tests using an Ethernet cable connection. Finally set up a working connection from the master socket, stop changing your hardware around and put up with the untidy room for a few days before repeating the BT speed test.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DialupDSL
Hooked

Re: If the Milk man delivered an empty bottle of milk every day would you be Happy

Thanks for your reply Baldrick 1

I did this the other day and am now waiting on a FTTP connection from BT Plusnet said they would make me aware when I could get fiber don't think they do FTTP though
Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 15.13.52.pngThere is only the modem and one phone plugged into the master through a filter. Then Modem then Edgerouter X

The line has now been up for over 23 hours (IP addresses removed)

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 15.22.08.png

Network is onlineScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 15.27.50.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 15.30.05.pngAs can be seen from the BT Test the line is banded to 0.24mbps so this is the speed I have until they reset the DLM according to the Plusnet guides on the forum the missing 50k is the traffic on the network as can be seen aboveScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 15.34.42.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 15.55.05.png

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

As WBC FTTP  is available to you, you could apply to join Plusnet's FTTP trial.

Further details at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20

DialupDSL
Hooked

Thanks for your reply Browni

I never thought I would go back to BT but the order is already in for FTTP. I moved in hear 2 years ago (New build) I waited over 2 months for Plusnet to connect my line and give me fairly poor adsl. 2-3mbps was bad but 256k is a joke and the BT checker thinks its ok LOL

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

As the BT speedtester shows your speed to be within the acceptable range you're only hope with ADSL is to get PN to do a DRM reset for you. Looking at your results it looks as though your SNR is 10dB so you're not going to get a huge improvement. Hopefully a PN staffer will come along, pick up this post and do the necesary.

Apart from that it looks like the only way you can currently get anything remotely acceptable is to go for FTTP.. If you can't get onto the PN trial I believe that others such as Zen can also provide a FTTP service - it may be worth looking around as there may be better deals to be had.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The BT speedtester always adjusts the acceptable range depending on the speed your line is currently connected at. It does not show if the speed your line is currently connected at is good for your line or not.

DialupDSL
Hooked

The SNR was 6db on adsl 2 and the  attenuation was 54db

PN refused to do a DLM reset on the phone yesterday stating there was a ticket in and it would get looked at in a few days I am writing this using a 4g dongle as other devices on the network require the currently available 256K. The fire TV box refuses to even load the main page.

The connection had been stable with only a couple of router reboots in 2 years up until I started trying to troubleshoot windows 10 stealing the connection and changing network hardware.

Connections now been stable for 24 hours so I  am not going to put it back on adsl 2