Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISPs, File Sharing, P2P, UK Law and all that Jazz - A Follow Up

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

ISPs, File Sharing, P2P, UK Law and all that Jazz - A Follow Up

Vodafone have recently launched MusicStation which for £1.99 per week gives you the choice of 1 millions songs to listen to via your mobile phone. In response to this blog on filesharing would you be interested in a music download service similar to Vodafone's MusicStation via your PlusNet broadband connection?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
21 REPLIES 21
gswindale
Grafter

Re: ISPs, File Sharing, P2P, UK Law and all that Jazz - A Follow Up

so basically, Vodafone have launched a "Napster for Mobiles" - presumably at a slightly reduced price compared to Napster due to the reduced quality of mobiles?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Didn't think this was the sort of thing I'd go for at first glance as I don't like the idea of reoccurring subscriptions for music downloads.
If the quality was good enough though, and I could cancel at any point (which I'm guessing probably wouldn't be the case) then it might actually work out cheaper then paying per song from vendors such as iTunes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

geewizz
Grafter

I would buy music online if it was of a higher quality than the currently available formats. Until then I'm sticking with the higher sample rates afforded by hard copy recordings.
godsell4
Rising Star

Would the files be downloaded to a PC or Laptop?
Can I burn a CD from those files?
If I download to a PC, can I transfer them to another HDD, ipod or my mobile phone and play them there too?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
geewizz
Grafter

godsell4,
all formats that can be played back as audio can be burned to CD, transferred to a phone, uploaded, downloaded, mixed, squashed and just about anything else you want to do to them. Basically, if you can hear it then it's possible to make it into any format you choose.
Anyway, I think the formats are a detail that would be sorted out at a later date. For the sake of the question, an example site has been quoted. Just base the formats on the ones in there for the hypothetical model.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

For me, if I could keep the tracks (without having to go through the hassle of recording streamed audio, which is usually too naff qualitywise to bother with) then I probably would. Having said that though, if hypothetically speaking I occasionally downloaded a track/EP/album/discography I don't think a service like this would stop me. Depends on price and quality though I guess.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

I currently use the napster supscription service to download my music, but if it was better value and had the same volume of songs (3million+) then I would consider it.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Last music I bought was on vinyl and I expect the next will be too (although I have a fiver to spend at iTunes and have done for about about 3 months). I just prefer the sound of a record, digital, especially compressed digital just isn't the same. It's OK for listening to in the car but at home my records will always win out. A cheap subscription service might have an appeal if I could use it anywhere but not if it was limited just to home.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There isn't a button for "I don't want to download music by subscription (and lose the music when I stop subscribing).  I'd rather buy the music I want for a one-off price, and be able to use it forever on whatever device."  At the moment, that means buying CDs for me, but I can imagine buying a download if the quality was right and it was DRM-free.
I get the whole "music in the background from lots of artists" thing from streaming content - either traditional radio stations, or online streams - and wouldn't ever expect to pay for this at the point of use (obviously I pay for a broadband connection, listen to adverts if they are there, and pay for a TV licence which funds BBC radio stations, so I realise it's not totally free).
Martin
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: snozboz
There isn't a button for "I don't want to download music by subscription (and lose the music when I stop subscribing).  I'd rather buy the music I want for a one-off price, and be able to use it forever on whatever device."

Ditto 100%. FWIW I have heard of a service which works by subscription yet allows one to keep their downloads once it's expired, but I'm not sure which service it is... I think it might be Nokia's new thing which they intend to combine in to the cost of a new mobile, although I might be thinking of something else altogether. But yes, I want to own my music, not rent it. I am, however, not against purchasing DRM tracks from iTunes as I use an iPod, although as I mostly buy classical music I often opt for the CD as they can be cheap (Naxos CDs can be found for £4-£5), and come with useful liner notes.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I am, however, not against purchasing DRM tracks from iTunes as I use an iPod.

I'm not against DRM tracks as such, but I am against those from iTunes as I don't wish to be tied in to an overpriced and overrated MP3 player. 
geewizz
Grafter

I'm thinking of patronising a minstrel so that I can have music whenever I want. It would have the added bonus that the sound quality would be spot on and I could tell him what song I want to hear or just put him on a random setting. I could even get an extra seat on my bicycle so that he becomes portable.
And on Sundays I could share him with all the Plusnet customers by getting him to sing down my router. Do you think Plusnet would pay towards his keep if I offered this service?
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: geewizz
And on Sundays I could share him with all the Plusnet customers by getting him to sing down my router. Do you think Plusnet would pay towards his keep if I offered this service?

I'd donate if you took song requests. Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

How about  "Its a long way to Tipperary " Angry