Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 won;t work (here, now) - Eeeeek!

Pod
Grafter

IPv6 won;t work (here, now) - Eeeeek!

Dear PlusNet,
You will of course be aware of 'World IPv6 day' on 8-June-2011 (starting 00:00 ending 23:59 UTC).
Having just checked via the IPv6 access test site http://test-ipv6.com I find that we won't be able to access the Net giants Google, Facebook, Akamai and Yahoo who have committed to taking part in the "test flight" of IPv6, on that day.
So, my question is the obvious one: will PlusNet have made the necessary changes to allow us mere mortals to access the above sites (and others) who will only be available via IPv6 on 8-June-2011?
For what it's worth, here are the (IPv6) results of running the test from here:

Your IPv4 address on the public internet appears to be 212.x.y.z

You have no IPv6 address.

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 internet only.
You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.
Your readiness scores
0/10
for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
(Updated server side IPv6 readiness stats)

and
Test with IPv6 DNS record  
bad (0.448s)
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6  
bad (2.019s)
Test with Dual Stack DNS record  
ok (1.674s) using ipv4
Test IPv4 without DNS  
ok (0.417s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 without DNS  
bad (0.042s)
Test IPv6 large packet  
bad (0.141s)

For other PlusNet customers who want an easy to read summary, the BBC has a nice article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12183098, which points to Google engineer and Internet Society pages giving more details.
Thanks for reading, if I've missed a PlusNet article or announcement on IPv6 readiness for World IPv6 day, do give suitable URLs, please, and accept my apologies for missing them (I did search, using IPv6 as the query)
P.
3 REPLIES 3
jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Re: IPv6 won;t work (here, now) - Eeeeek!

Where does it say that the websites will be accessible only via IPv6? What is more likely, as far as I understand, is that the domain will resolve to both an IPv4 address or an IPv6 address depending on what DNS record is requested (either A or AAAA respectively).
Even if they only run with IPv6 for the day understand that Plusnet do not need to give us IPv6 addresses. We will be fine with our IPv4 addresses as long as the network can route IPv6 traffic, then we will still be able to access the sites.
OK, so that last statement is simplified, I'm still getting my head around things. I believe they would neet to 'tunnel' the IPv6 traffic onto the IPv4 network, maybe someone could clear this up.
Don't worry though Pod, this is something Plusnet is definitely working on.
Pod
Grafter

See the bit (of your reply) in bold?
Quote from: jonnybarnes
Where does it say that the websites will be accessible only via IPv6? What is more likely, as far as I understand, is that the domain will resolve to both an IPv4 address or an IPv6 address depending on what DNS record is requested (either A or AAAA respectively)..
and, according to the couple of previous trials, therein (ie having both IPv4 and IPv6 routes/DnS)  lies the potential problems, read the links, but the bit (from previous such trials) that is pertinent to your query is this:
The problem
Paradoxically, offering an extra way of reaching the site can prevent some users from reaching www.heise.de altogether.
They go on to explain part of the 'why', but Mac OS X (which I use, am using now) is one of the more likely groups to be affected (unless you can wait for 75 second for each and every DNS to time out and get re-DNS resolved), hence my question and 'eek' understanding   Undecided  - read the articles for more, précising  always leave the nuances out  Cool The Norwegian tests resulted in their site being permanently IPv6 enabled (and thus we can test - and see - hence my concern, it stalls) whist the Germans found enough problems to back out and wait for more work to be completed first.
Glad to hear from you that PlusNet are working on this - lets hope Apple are too  Grin thanks for the reply.
David_W
Rising Star

Google already does IPV6........
CiscoRouter#ping ipv6.google.com
Translating "ipv6.google.com"...domain server (212.159.6.10) [OK]
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2A00:1450:8002::6A, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Just saying that though, are *you* ready for IPV6?  If you want to give it a whirl you can try a tunnelbroker like http://www.sixxs.net who will set you up with an /64 address and such, or http://www.tunnelbroker.net who also give you a /64 and if you have hardware that supports it can make your network IPV6 ready.  The reason my Success rate is 0% is because of my firewall, it needs to forward Protocol 41 properly and I have no idea how to do that otherwise it would be 100% (I'm IPV6 ready....ish).