Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 - when/if will I need to think about a new router

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

IPv6 - when/if will I need to think about a new router

This thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103976.0.html made me think.
My present router Netgear DG834Gv4 - I am very happy with it as the firmware does everything I want without hassle unlike the previous Thompson routers offered by Plusnet and I get excellent speeds - won't support IP6 at all.
Will I eventually need to change routers or will the Plusnet systems allow me to keep the old router until it falls over
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IPv6 - when/if will I need to think about a new router

Hi Oldjim,
It will be quite some time before you'll need to consider an IPv6 capable router. However, there will come a point in the nearer future where new start-ups who can't get IPv4 addresses will have to use IPv6, so you wouldn't be able to access them.
Jojo Smiley
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Joanne
However, there will come a point in the nearer future where new start-ups who can't get IPv4 addresses will have to use IPv6, so you wouldn't be able to access them.

Well you can actually access IPv6 address, through a 6to4 tunnel. I've set up one myself from Hurricane Electric tunnel broker (it works best with a static IP). This gives you a stopgap before full implementation of IPv6.
That's RPM to you!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Why would I need to access new startups.
Surely this won't affect emails or PM's via this forum
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

No, it won't affect those services. New startups would include new companies and services on the Internet. At least that's what I think of with regards to 'new startups'.
That's RPM to you!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With you - now I understand