cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile questions

jagger
Grafter

IP profile questions

This is doing my brain in.Please bear in mind BT "lost" my connection for a few days a month ago,so I'm checking things out a lot now and I can't quite grasp a couple of things.
Last night my router (Netgear DGN2000) was in sync with the exchange @ 4500 kbps. with about 9% snr.This morning it was @ 3000. with 15% snr.After a careful re-sync it's @3700 ish now but it's been bouncing around a fair bit recently after a settled period after my outage.
My best sync has been 4600ish but my best download only 3700 at the same time.Recently it doesn't seem to matter what I sync at my downloads are between 2000-3400 as per picture.
So,anyone able to explain why I get such varying results?  I have just found out that my profile is now set at 2500 at the Plusnet end but I was expecting more like 4500 after initial line checks and several years of stable 2meg connection.
7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Grafter

Re: IP profile questions

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a suspicion as to what has happened.
To confirm can you do a resync and advise the router stats.
jagger
Grafter

Thank you Jim.
Done,and here they are,looking remarkably similar to an hour ago.
PN profile has gone up to 3000.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As I suspected.
Due to problems with your line the default noise margin has been increased to 15dB thereby reducing your sync speed.
Last night my router (Netgear DGN2000) was in sync with the exchange @ 4500 kbps. with about 9% snr.This morning it was @ 3000. with 15% snr
At some time last night your router lost sync due to a lot of interference on the line and the automatic system was unable to resync at a default 9dB noise margin so bounced it up to 15dB at which point it managed to hold sync
Can you download and install RouterStats http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm and set it up to monitor your router - you will need to keep the computer on over night to do this.
This will give a much better idea as to what is happening
jagger
Grafter

As ever, a font of information Jim.Thanks again
.Explains a bit but I really think I'm still tracking an annoying fault somewhere along the line.So, program downloaded and installed, and thankfully the new computer is a church mouse compared to the old box so it's on overnight.

(Note to Moderator Dick,I really didn't mean to double post you know.I think it may have happened due to the lag experienced when I first tried to post and it hung like a fruit bat.You could have simply deleted it.I would have understood.)
jagger
Grafter

Just like a watched kettle refuses to boil, absolutely nothing of note happened overnight.
Sync remains at 3712 kbps.Download speed at 2400 kbps.SNR has been wobbling along, slowly dropping from 14-15 down to 10 or so and then jumped back up to around 14 this morning early doors.
Nice liitle prog JIm.Thanks very much.Will now be able to get really obsessed with my connection details.L8tency was good for sorting out my lagging a few years back but this will help me split a few more hairs. Grin
Still not sure how a 3712 sync can only produce 2400 downloads.That's losing a third of the advertised bandwidth beacause of...............? ( I know,it's my seperate BT and PN profiles having a lovers tiff,and the BT half looks to be a bit of an alcoholic)
The case continues.......
Hary
Grafter

If you look at para3 on here you see that for your sync the download speed is up to 3Mbps, the previous being up to 2.5.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#sync
But your PN profile is 3000, by comparison mine is 5500 with a download speed of 5000, so about 500 off.
Keep an eye on BT & PN profiles they should match. If PN goes up you should disconnect/reconnect through your browser
to take advantage of this, and not reboot the router.