cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile dropped, 4 days later no change.

TOFixer

IP profile dropped, 4 days later no change.

Quick run down on the situation, new to Plusnet, connection had been fine at a few MBPS (after the set-up period, and the DNS issues). On Friday, the connection dropped to next to nothing and was unstable, and the same for Saturday, when I went through and followed the troubleshooting guide stuff (including resetting the router, checking the lines, bt wholesale speedtest etc). Saw that the IP Profile had been dropped from 6mbps to 0.25 mbps, but besides that everything seems fine, so assumed it was some sort of problem outside with the line that caused the disruption. Been waiting since then for the profile to sort itself out, but it's now been 4 days and still stuck there.
Annoyed at this point, because we've had more time without connection or with limited connection in the first month with Plusnet, than in years with Talk Talk/Tiscali, and never had this sort of extended reduction in speed. I just want to know what the quickest way to get this resolved is.
9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: IP profile dropped, 4 days later no change.

Hi TOFixer,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Can you please follow the speed issues thread - see the link below - and post all of the requested information here.  Stuck profiles happen from time to time, the problem being that there are a number of such profiles and fixing each is different!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TOFixer

7 - Data rate: 253/287
8 - Maximum data rate: 532/1628
9 - Noise margin: 19.2/6.1
10 - Line attenuation: 24.9/41.5
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.16 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.26Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
(though previous tests had been up near the maximum)

Estimated line speed:
    6Mb
Current line speed:
    0.2 Mb
I think that's all of it. Just a note, when looking at the router over the last hour, it seems to have dropped the internet light completely on more than one occasion.
cedlor
Grafter

Pretty abysmal then even on a longish line.
When doing the speed checks did you at some point re-boot the router.?
Check it is all plugged in correctly and try the stats again - what happened to 1 to 6  UP time and errors would be useful.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

TOFixer,
There is something very much not right here.  Some basic checks before we proceed.
1. Is there a dial tone on the phone line?
2. Is there any noise on the line - dial 17070 option 2
3. Is the router plugged into the master socket?
4. Are there any extension sockets?
5. If yes - how are they wired?
6. Are any phones plugged into extension sockets done so by a filter?
After answering the above, please remove the lower faceplate of the master socket, connect the router into the test socket and re do the router stats please.  Until we get the synch speed up to 6Mbps there I no point looking at profiles or data speed tests.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TOFixer

Dial tone is fine, you only hear it just before the phone starts dialing in as they are wireless phones, but you do hear it, and there's no noise on the line... had absolutely no issues with phone calls over the period of these issues either (phone is also with Plusnet).
The wiring part I'm not sure on, so will explain the best I can. We have a small plastic box with a screw in, letter T on it (old BT logo)... think it's a junction box after googling, which then leads to a phone socket downstairs, and we also have one wired from that point upstairs. Both sockets have filters on, with the phone receiver downstairs, and the upstairs being where the router is. Have tested the router on the downstairs socket for low speed on the Saturday, and there was no change, but haven't left it in there for an extended period to see if the connection drops. As far as I'm aware though there isn't a master socket.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There must be a master socket somewhere - does the socket look like one of these - http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml - ?
Also have a look at this - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm - it offers some good advice on wiring extensions.
This is useful too - http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html - however note that only terminal 2&5 need (should) be connected.  Wires on other terminal (3&4) will cause issues for broadband.

TOFixer

Yeah, that first guide was what I was originally going from, which says that not all properties have one, and that if you have a junction box which then cables on to a LJU, you probably don't have one. There is one of the LJU sockets downstairs, and one upstairs, and then something which looks like this image on the outside http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/m/ml85fTR9-1DUnPQd9pgHRYg/s-l225.jpg next to the front door (can take a photo of the actual one if it's any help, same but just has an old British Telecom logo on it).
The second is a bit clearer, the LJU upstairs is a more recent addition, so the only one that could be the master by that description is the one downstairs. Once it gets down to the wiring, I'm not confident enough to start messing around with it greatly (I don't want to break anything). The only thing I'll say is that there have been no changes for years with the wiring, the set-up that is there now is the same set-up that was working for years with Talk Talk/Tiscali, and that nothing has occurred to damage the wiring visibly. Unless there's any reason that wiring should be different between providers, or if there's some sort of degradation possible on them over time, I'm not seeing how it's likely to be an internal wiring issue. The last time when there was a line issue in the household, some long time back now as far as I'm aware, a lot of this sort of messing around had to be gone through with no fault found, before BT sorted out the issue which was outside.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

One of the LJU sockets will probably have more components on the circuit board inside, that one would technically be a master socket.
Is each LJU socket independently wired to the junction box, or is the upstairs socket wired to the downstairs phone socket?
TOFixer

Now nearly a week with this issue, router is now down on what has to be the master socket. Will leave overnight, and if there's any connection instability between now and tomorrow, will chase up further as that's the only bit of testing that I've not done to exhaustion. Does anyone happen to know the quickest way of getting plusnet to act on this issue, if there is some problem outside of the house? Because as far as I'm concerned, this isn't the service that's being paid for, or that was advertised a month ago when signing up, and while I understand technical issues happen, this never happened with my previous supplier and I'm already regretting switching.