cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile appears to be stuck

Palmski
Grafter

IP profile appears to be stuck

We had a fault on our BT line over xmas which resulted in really high noise etc which BT fixed a week ago (6/1/11). As a result my Plusnet IP profile has been stuck at 250 and my BT profile has dropped off to 135, however my synch speeds have been rock steady at 5824 since the fault was fixed. I raised a fault 2 days ago (#38697128) which appears to have been completely ignored so I'm putting it on here as well as I'm losing my rag with the dialup speeds I'm now getting. I know it's not the equipment in my house, none of that has changed for well over a year and previous to the fault I was getting synch speeds of (you guessed it) 5.8Mbps and upwards but with matching download speeds - I think my IP profile was 4500 or something similar. It's obvious what has caused this problem, but it seems rather non-obvious how I should get it solved? I've waited a week (ie more than the advised 2-3 days) for this to sort itself out so clearly that is not going to be an option.
Can anyone from the support team help with getting this progressed?
27 REPLIES 27
backtogeek
Grafter

Re: IP profile appears to be stuck

The reality is is you have not lost any time here yet.
Plusnet wont ring BT to chase a profile change untill your line has been connected steady for 72 hours.
I assume one of the PN staff will see this and raise it on the PN side of the fence but it wont matter until BT update theirs.
Now one last thing to chew on.... an IP profile change of that magnitude should update in 4 hours but because BT are involved you can bet it will fail almost every time and PN will not speak to them for 3 days or even raise a retrospective fault after the 3 day period if it does update.
So bottom line here is .... get back in your box and wait
Palmski
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback but the reality is if you had actually read my post you would see that the line has been stable at 5824 for 7 days.
And "get back in your box"? I'm quite sure you didn't mean to come across as being rude, condescending and patronising but you might be well advised to consider a little further how you word your replies in future. Just sayin'  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Palmski,
We've had a few of these lately and I've raised a problem about it. One of our faults guys has been having to raise these to our suppliers then call them to get it fixed. He's in later, so I'll get him to pick it up for you.
Jojo Smiley
Palmski
Grafter

Thanks Jojo, much appreciated  Smiley
backtogeek
Grafter

Indeed I did not get an understanding of the full timeline from your post, and no it was not meant to be insulting Smiley
Im just growing tired of BT's Acraptive rate logic that constantly fails users and ISP's refuse to challenge.
Palmski
Grafter

No harm done, I clearly need to consider being more concise in my posts  Grin
I was briefly involved in writing a system a while back which integrated with the BT Wholesale webservices and after just that small taste of it I don't envy the PN staff having to deal with them on a daily basis.  Crazy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Palmski,
I've just had a word with him and in your circumstances he suggests powering off the router for 5 minutes to see if that kicks it in,. If not he will still look at it later.
Jojo Smiley
Palmski
Grafter

Thanks Jojo I'll give that a try when I get home from work and let you know how it goes.
Palmski
Grafter

Hi Jojo, just tried that and had no luck, I've actually ended up with a lower synch rate (probably because the weather is awful here - it seems to have a big effect on my noise ratio) but still on 135 according to the BT speed tester, can you have a word with your colleague for me please? Ta muchly....
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Palmski,
He's not in until later. I have ordered an SNR reset which may kick it in. If not then I'll get him to look at it later.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Palmski
(probably because the weather is awful here - it seems to have a big effect on my noise ratio)

Does it have any affect you can hear when you use the phone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Palmski
Grafter

No, the phone line is unaffected as far as I can tell. Generally I get a fluctuation between 7db on a bright sunny day and 14db on a wet and windy evening. It doesn't seem to have a huge effect on the synch rate at least (in good conditions I can get up to around 7Mbps but the stable rate appears to be around 5.8), I couldn't say what the actual download speeds are but there is no noticeable difference whatever the weather.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That seems like a huge difference to me! It shouldn't be that much.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Palmski
Grafter

Stitched up by the smiley, that 5 should have been 5.8 with a closing brace. If you think 5.8 -> 7 is a big fluctuation then perhaps it is, but we've lived with it for the ~3 years we've been in the house and I really haven't noticed any difference in real life speed.