cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP dropped after nearly 4 months of a constant 54.8 (DSLM reset 10.3.13)

Bjn
Grafter

IP dropped after nearly 4 months of a constant 54.8 (DSLM reset 10.3.13)

My line has had a steady IP of 54.8 to 54.2 since my fibre was installed mid November 2012 ( it was at 61 for the first few days but settled at 54.8 where its been for over 3 months). On Tuesday it dropped sometime during the day to 50.5 but the router says WAN gateway did not drop so I assume the modem did not reboot. My download speeds dropped from a constant 52Mb to anywhere between 9 and 47MB going up and down like a yoyo if I do tests at 15 minute intervals, this is not restricted to evening tests.
On Tuesday about 4.30pm all the lights on my modem went off after about 15 minutes as it had not done anything I unplugged it and left it off for just over one hour before plugging it back in and the power light flashed for about 10 minutes before the DSL light came on. The router reconnected but on BT wholesale test the IP was still 50.5.I phoned PN and was told that I had a good line no constant resets etc. which does not show any reason why the IP should have dropped.
I took part in Bob Pullens test on Tuesday evening to help PN find out what was happening to the network in the evenings. I was told to just gateways at about 10pm and have been on same gateway since with no improvement to IP
Is there anyway my IP can be reset or is this another thing PN will say I have to live with.
Thanks for any advice on this problem
9 REPLIES 9
Bright
Grafter

Re: IP dropped on Fibre after nearly 4 months of a constant 54.8

Is your BT IP profile stable now or is that still changing? What value is it currently?
You can effectively reset your IP profile on FTTC by disconnecting the PPPoE session in the router, then powering down the BTOR modem, counting to 30, switching on the modem again, wait for the green DSL light to come on, then re-establish the PPPoE session from the router. Now check your BT and Plusnet IP profiles again.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Apart from a few connection drops over the last week, I can't see any other factors that might have affected the speed of your connection. As you may understand the speeds on any type of broadband connection can vary, however I'd advise raising a fault if this becomes a persistent problem for you: http://faults.plus.net
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bjn
Grafter

Quote from: Bright
Is your BT IP profile stable now or is that still changing? What value is it currently?

BT   IP seems to be stable now at 50.5 but speed test is low 24.35Mbps
PN  IP is set at 78
my estimated speed was 55Mbps so the old IP I was happy with just would love to know why it lowered it's self after been stable for so long.
Thanks for checking my line stats Adam, will give it a few more days to see if it comes it resets it's self if not I need to disconnect equipment at weekend as installing new unit it sits on.
Bright
Grafter

Just checking:

• The speed test was measured using a PC with a wired (ethernet) connection to the router?

• It wasn't measured during the evening peak hours (when a fault is causing some customers to get much reduced throughput)?

• You haven't updated your anti-virus programme recently? I noticed a few people reporting reduced throughput which was eventually tracked down to an anti-virus programme!

Bjn
Grafter

Hi Bright and thanks for your help, to answer your question
All speed tests are hard wired
Speed test was done to day just before I posted it at about 14.00. Outside the 18.00-20.00 problem period I've experienced like others for speed and legacy
No same anti-virus program I've been using for last 10 months.
internet this morning and afternoon for me was slow both speed tests and browsing, browsing has picked uptonight but can't do a speed test atm as the kids are connected via two other PC's and more bother than it's worth kicking them off to do a speed test.
Dick:Quote
Bright
Grafter

No obvious explanation for the slow-down then. Probably worth raising a fault ticket as Adam suggests.
Bjn
Grafter

well 3 days days later not touched router settings or modem and my speed results from BT wholesale checker have improved or should I say they are faster that my IP profiles says I'm connected see attached file
BT  IP 50.52
download 52..4Mbps
Looks like my line maybe recovering on it's own so going to leave all alone for a few more days to see what happens, maybe my IP will move up or do I have to restart modem to find out?
Bjn
Grafter

well something happened at 2am this morning according to my router log which says

Mar 10 02:00:38 PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok

Mar 10 02:00:37 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ptn-ag03)

Mar 10 02:00:37 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = bras-red5.nt-b)
I think that means the DSLM reset it self back to my IP 54.48 as over night as you can see from below it changed from IP 50,52 and the PN user panel showing change from IP 78 to IP 54.4
Just wondering and maybe someone can confirm this at change over to fibre unlimited my IP in the control panel was reset to IP 78 from IP 54.4, could the DSLM not cope with the high through put from PN and reset my IP to a lower IP of 50.52. ?
Anyway my advice to anyone who's IP goes down don't touch anything leave all alone and early morning on day four after change it may come back if all is well. I could have played around with settings and messed it up even more.
Thanks to all who helped with relpies.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: IP dropped after nearly 4 months of a constant 54.8 (DSLM reset 10.3.13)

HI Bjn,
I can see that your line has crept back up slightly, if you don't see any further improvement then as Adam suggested it would be worth running through our troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net