Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address issue

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

IP address issue

Hello,

I have just discovered an odd problem which I hadn't previously noticed.

I appear to be on a fixed IP address rather than a variable one from the pool. My router had been up for 25 days so seeing the same IP address in dlstats wasn't unusual. Following access problems with one particular web site I tried changing my address by first a software reboot of my router and later by a full cold restart of both my router and laptop. The IP address remained unchanged through all this.

Does anyone know why this should have happened and and how I can get back to 'normal'?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: IP address issue

@pvmb 

These days dynamic IP addresses are allocated from a small pool which I believe are related to your location. Consequently it is not unusual to pick up the same address again. To stand a reasonable chance of it changing you need to disconnect for several hours at leasr and hope for someone else in your pool to pick up your old one.

Whether that will help with your errant web site is a moot point. Why not tell us the address so that others can see if it works? Also are you using the Plusnet Safeguard filter?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Baldrick1,

The website concerned is: https://www.dividenddata.co.uk

It is known to be working but to be a bit 'cranky'. The server is believed to block IP addresses if it gets "too many requests" in a given time from an IP address, to be unblocked "hours or possibly days" later. The statistics of this are unknown. I used it with no problems months and years ago. But when I tried it recently - no go. With no change since.

I twice tried to change my IP address via router reboots, but kept getting the same (presumably blocked) one.

I am not using Plusnet Safeguard filter, AFAIK.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Simply rebooting the router doesn't give enough time for the IP lease to expire, it's been mentioned on this forum that switching the router off for a minimum of 65 minutes is required to change IP address (even then it's not guaranteed.)
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for information.

Is this something quite new? It seems only fairly recently to me that, following a drop, DSLstats would regularly show a new IP address acquired.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Not really new, it's one of the 'features' of Plusnet's new network.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm rather intrigued now.

Occasionally, if throughput seems a bit slow, or a particular website is problematic, I drop the PPP session and reconnect, usually within about 5 minutes. I don't recall ever picking up the same IP address.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Browni
Aspiring Hero

Searching the forum for "65 minutes" gives a lot of hits.

This is a good example.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

It now seems as if the problem I am having lies elsewhere, as I find I can access the site using Internet Explorer. It may therefore be something non obvious to do with cookies or settings on my usual Opera browser.