Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address and security concerns

FIXED
NewbieQ
Hooked

IP address and security concerns

I understand that by default, Plusnet IP addresses are dynamic (and I have neither requested or paid for a static). The IP address I currently have, for a few months I think, suddenly changed for several hours overnight from Sat 6th-Sun 7th October, and then back again to existing. I did some checks on a website which advised me that my existing IP (51.7.55.***) was static (not dynamic, as it should be). I then checked the address switched to on Sat night, and this is apparently ‘blacklisted’ (80.189.252.***). [nb I have screenshots of results but haven’t uploaded as they show full IP address]. During this entire time, I remained connected to the internet via wi-fi on my sole 2 devices (ie I did not turn off or reset the router).

This, for me, is the latest in a culmination of long-standing and ongoing security concerns I have had with my devices and accounts, particularly e-mail.

i am extremely concerned about this and am seeking an explanation? Specifically, is my IP address static, and if so, how so as I did not request this? And, why did my IP address suddenly and temporarily change overnight to a blacklisted address? Is it possible that I am being hacked and how is that possible (ie would someone require access to my router)?

If I do not get a satisfactory explanation, given that I am soon moving home, I will be looking to cease my Plusnet service rather than take it with me.

Can you please advise?

Thanks.

J

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: IP address and security concerns

As you say, your address shouldn't be static unless you've requested it to be and paid I think £5. You say you haven't so it should be dynamic and the fact it had changed would imply it is.

When you say blacklisted - by whom? What were you trying to do? Obviously post it on here but remove any personal information. I am wondering if this is another Geo IP problem where a web site thinks you're not in the UK, but you are for example.

I can't see how you've been hacked as the IP address allocation is done PlusNet's side not yours.

A memer of staff may pick this up and may need you to PM your account username so they can check things all look fine their side I guess.

NewbieQ
Hooked

Hi. Thanks for reply.

The website used was whatismyipaddress.com. It stated that the 51.7.55.*** address is static, and that the 80.189.252.*** address had blacklisted status on 3 anti-spam databases: dnsbl.spfbl.net; dnsbl.sorbs.net; and dul.dnsbi.sorbs.net.

If 51.********* is dynamic, can I ask though if it is normal for a dynamic IP to switch for a short period of time?

Happy to be contacted by staff re- this too.

Thanks.

J

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

IIRC then PN static IP addresses come from a dynamic pool but just pinned to your account, so I'm not sure that a 3rd party site would really know what is static or not.

Also, unless you are trying to run an email server then the fact that the ip appears on an anti-spam list shouldn't be of any concern.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
NewbieQ
Hooked

Thanks. Just one more thing if you don’t mind for clarity and ease of mind though....the fact that the address switched to this new address for a short period of time (several hours overnight) when I hadn’t disconnected or otherwise prompted this is of no concern then?

NewbieQ
Hooked

Sorry, last thing for sure...with a house move, would I get a new router and password? 

Thanks.

Alex
Community Veteran

I'm not sure about a new router, but with a move you can take your old router with you and you should be able to use it. Plenty of cheap ones on-line otherwise.

You would have to set up a new line at your new property and probably create a new account with PlusNet - I don't know if you're under contract now and whether PlusNet will allow you to transfer the remaining contract period to your new account. I see no reason why not, but that is for staff to answer I guess.

Depends where your new property is and how far, but I believe you can transfer your landline number only if you're connected to the same exchange though. Your exchange is out of your hands though. Depends on whether keeping your landline number is a issue for you.

Where I live I am between two exchanges and I know where both of them are. I also know what places are connected to which exchange as the dialling code of the number changes when I look at the signs on shops, etc. Smiley

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You could ask for a new router during a house move (particularly if you are taking out a new contract).  Your password wouldn't change if you are keeping the same account (which would be normal practice), though you can change your password at any time you want, regardless of moving house.

Edit: @Alex beat me to it.  One query though is why you say a house move would need a new account?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Sorry @pjmarsh

I made an assumption regarding a new account which is probably wrong.

I am sure there is a member of staff familiar with house moves who can answer the questions.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Fix

No problem Alex.  I've had a few house moves on various accounts and all but one have kept the same accounts.  The one that didn't technically wasn't a house move, in that there was a small over lap, so it was a new install and account in one property, then a cancelling of the other account at the original property a few weeks later.  That was more costly, but met the need of the user at that time. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NewbieQ
Hooked

Many thanks to all who replied and sorted out issues!

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Third party sites know what blocks of IP addresses are "static" because Plusnet publish that data. By default dynamic addresses are added to several blacklists to prevent dynamic addresses being used to send spam (i.e. you can't run a mail server from a dynamic address), and you are expected to use an authenticated mail server to relay your e-mails.

However, sometimes the dynamic IP blacklists are (mis)used to prevent dynamic addresses accessing other servers too.

NewbieQ
Hooked

Ok, so no need to be concerned then! Thanks for reply.