Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Stream Connect: Incorrect profiling alert

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

IP Stream Connect: Incorrect profiling alert

(Topic previously called "iPlayer download, PAYG on IPSC")
See Reply #8 for why this topic has been renamed. All trialists need to read that post.
It's broken!
I started a download and found it was going to be several hours. Reconnected to RIN and it said complete in 12 minutes, reconnected to normal (plusdsl.net) and it said a similar time, reconnected to IPSC and it's back to taking hours. You can see what's happening very clearly on the attached NetMeter graph.
I then looked at a Wireshark trace - see attached screen dump.
0x60 on PAYG!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: iPlayer download, PAYG on IPSC

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I think I know what's causing this. Our systems need to recognise the realm you're using to connect so that you're assigned the correct traffic management profile. When connecting on a new realm it takes a while for the system to catch up. Whilst it's waiting to catch up you're assigned the default traffic management profile (which is Broadband Plus).
[quote author="Ticketing system"]Ticket: 29225792
29/06/09 05:07
The Customer Closed: Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
ADSL Realm change from \"plusdsl.net\" to \"plus11.net\"
[quote author="Ticketing system"]Ticket: 29221915
28/06/09 05:08
ADSL Realm change from \"plus11.net\" to \"plusdsl.net\"
[quote author="Ticketing system"]Ticket: 29193943
25/06/09 05:06
ADSL Realm change from \"plusdsl.net\" to \"plus11.net\"
Unless you were connected on the @plusdsl.net realm betweeen 28/06/09 05:08 and 29/06/09 05:07 you would have been getting a Broadband Plus experience.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm not sure I follow this. I've been using IPSC since 12 May. I've just looked at my closed tickets and found a total of 12 where the ADSL realm was being changed. Is it the case that each account can only have a single realm associated with it for traffic management? How does RIN figure in this? (I've switched to plusdsl2.net many times in this period) but there's nothing in the tickets for that.
What confused me at first was that I've switched realm many times more than 12. It appears that the ADSL realm only changes once per day (the times on the tickets are all in the range 5:06am to 5:10am).
How does it decide which realm it is going to change to, I'm pretty convinced that after every time I've experimented and done comparisons across the different realms in the past I've left it on plus11.net when I've gone to bed (although it is possible that I've left it on RIN once or twice). However last night, because IPSC was giving dire speeds I left it on plusdsl.net, yet overnight it change my realm to plus11.net!
I've just tried another download and I'm currently getting the correct speeds on both realms - how come? As my realm is now plus11.net surely on plusdsl.net I should be being assigned the BB+ profile (or is it because 10am is the off-peak for BB+ and hence the speeds are not too bad).
Will this mess up with my domain affect my peak/off-peak usage recording? (PAYG is 8am to midnight and I believe BB+ is 4pm to midnight)
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

We have a script that runs once a day (around 5am) that looks at what realm each customer connected on the previous day (I'm not sure what time it uses as a cut off point) and what they have set in the Ellacoya database. If they are different it will update it as Ellacoya only has a single realm recorded for each user. On RIN it doesn't matter which realm you use as it doesn't use our Ellacoya platform. Usage will still be recorded as normal because on PAYG it comes from the RADIUS Accounting Data rather than Ellacoya so will be unaffected.
You'll probably be getting full speed at the moment (unless it's P2P or Usenet) on the default profile because there are no rate limits and the traffic priorities aren't doing anything as there's spare capacity at this time of day.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you find out how it decides what realm to use. I've been on both realms today and I'm betting that tomorrow I'll have been put back to plusdsl.net.
If I'm on the wrong realm, is there a way I can be forced back on to the correct realm or do I have to wait until the next day?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Guess what:
[quote=Ticketing system]Your comment 5:07am, Tuesday 30th June 2009
Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
ADSL Realm change from \"plus11.net\" to \"plusdsl.net\"

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Just got home after a day in London and run the BBC iPlayer diagnostic.
My normal streaming speeds on this test are well over 6000.
To add insult to injury I've just found this comment on my open ticket about this:
[Name Removed] IE - Generic  4:08pm, Tuesday 30th June 2009
[Internal] Profiling is fine for the application. 0x60 = Gold-Plated. I'm guessing this was the customers point. The speed does not reflect the profiling of the application.

I have added my own comment to the ticket.
I think Mand needs to get the educating tool out!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

An alert to IP Stream Correct trialists
It is possible that you are being profiled as Broadband Plus and not your normal profile. The main symptom you would see if this is the case will be that download speeds will be significantly restricted between 4pm and midnight. As noted above it is because of swapping between the normal login domain and the plus11/plus12 login domain.
We were originally told that we would be able to swap between the two without any problems - it now transpires this is not the case.
To confirm if this is the case look at your closed tickets. You will find tickets looking those quoted by Bob in Reply #2. You need to find the latest of those tickets. If it says your domain has been changed to plus11.net or plus12.net (depending upon whether you were one of the first 20 or the later 5 trialists) your Ellacoya profiling will be correct on IPSC and incorrect if you try your normal login (you'll get the default BB+ profile). If it says your normal login domain you will be being incorrectly profiled on IPSC but correctly profiled on your normal login.
It seems to flip flop the domain if just once during the day you log in with the other domain. So if you are on plus11 for some time and briefly log in to your normal domain for 5 minutes to do a comparison before returning to plus11 for the rest of the day, at 5am the next morning your domain will revert to your normal domain.
The strange thing I've found is that it isn't only changed when you reconnect.
Monday I swapped domains a couple of times. I connected to plus11.net at around 17:30 and have remained connected to that domain ever since.
Tuesday 5am domain was swapped to plusdsl (incorrectly profiled all day - luckily I was in London for most of the day)
Wednesday 5am domain swapped to plus11 (even though I didn't reconnect at all yesterday - router reports connection up for 41 hours)
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: IP Stream Connect: Incorrect profiling alert

I must be fortunate that my normal line performance is such that profiling does not make a significant difference  Tongue
My latest and only ticket on the realm change confirms I am on plus12.dsl, and I have not tried to revert back. Last night at 8:30pm a virus database update downloaded at ~50kB/s, which is consistent with what I believed was my assigned IP profile at that time (500kbps, although it now appears to have increased to 1500kbps even though it's only 30 hours since the line rate increase).
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: jelv
You need to find the latest of those tickets. If it says your domain has been changed to plus11.net or plus12.net (depending upon whether you were one of the first 20 or the later 5 trialists) your Ellacoya profiling will be correct on IPSC and incorrect if you try your normal login (you'll get the default BB+ profile).
Don't shout too loudly - (checking on Kitz camparison)  everything except External FTP on that profiling is better than Value
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Re: IP Stream Connect: Incorrect profiling alert

Grin Grin Grin
Well you know what to do then!