Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile

OshB5
Grafter

IP Profile

Evening All
i might as well ask this while i wait to see if my speeds increase LOL
Iv been reading this forum for a few hours now and the eyes are all bleary. But i have seen some people told to run the BT speed tests in order for it to update your ipProfile with BT a bit quicker and in turn this will also enable Plusnet to increase your profile the sooner. BT does it Right???.
Now have read this correctly or not.  Only i was thinking if you was on a ipProfile of 750k then surly you would not be able to download any faster than 750??? Or am i wrong again in thinking this..
the reason i ask is that I was syncing at 1500 and downloading at 1300. Sorry i did not take a note of my IpProfile before i did the following. I have been messing about with the modem changing it t here and there and so on to get better sync speeds. And also getting various resets due to internal wiring and excessive errors in the stats  Anyway now its syncing at over 4500 but probably due to all the messing i cannot seam to download any faster than 750m  Which is commen when you have ad quite a few disconnections "Right"?? Iv looked and my ipProfile is now at present 750 I have tried the various speed test and cannot seem to get any D/L faster  than 0.750m Hence my question above.. What am i Missing. >:(... because im pulling my hair out and i anit got that much left to pull??? Tongue
Regards Andy
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: IP Profile

dont mess about to much as BT think you have a fault and lower your line..  When you want to move the router, switch it off and wait about 2-5 mins for it to finish its handshaking, and dont do that more than 3 times.
We The Majority think that comment about the BT test is a load of cods wallop.  Occasionally one of the Comms team can update your PN profile to match the BT one, that is normally done Automatically after about 12 hours and then at about 10 in the morning.
Also dont reboot after about 3 in the after noon you will only pick up a slow connection and not before daylight
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
dont mess about to much as BT think you have a fault and lower your line..  When you want to move the router, switch it off and wait about 2-5 mins for it to finish its handshaking, and dont do that more than 3 times.
We The Majority think that comment about the BT test is a load of cods wallop.  Occasionally one of the Comms team can update your PN profile to match the BT one, that is normally done Automatically after about 12 hours and then at about 10 in the morning.
Also dont reboot after about 3 in the after noon you will only pick up a slow connection and not before daylight

Hello
Before i started to messabout with the modem to see if i could get more speed It had never missed a beat in the last couple of years Even when we had thunder storms when it was up and down like a YoYo. Its only now and its rearly getting to me. Yes i know i should be more paitent But when you have had 1.3 downloads and then it drops to 0.75 its a real pain but what makes it worse the sync speeds are nearly three times as fast..
so its been a lose lose situation so far
Thanks anyway Andy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If your current sync is well above the BT profile it should update in a few hours, unfortunately theres nothing you can do to speed this process.
As long as you have a decent sync it is best to leave everything alone.
I suffered from a drop in sync, instability etc. a while ago, turned out my old router had gone faulty - it still appeared to work OK but not reliable a change of router followed by just leaving it connected gradually brought my speeds up (reboot the router around 8 or 9 am every few days but generally let the exchange see as few disconnections as possible seems to be the way to get the best from the line.
I recently managed to get hold of a BT 2700HGV (BT Business Hub), that has really given me speeds I though I would never achieve, I'd recomend these to anyone but unless you kow someone with a 'spare' you have to trawl the likes of ebay (never entirely without risk).  Mine was 'free' but had a failed power adaptor so I had to buy a 5V 4A adaptor from Maplin to get it working.
If you know anyone who can let you borrow a router this might confirm if yours has a problem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
If your current sync is well above the BT profile it should update in a few hours, unfortunately theres nothing you can do to speed this process.
As long as you have a decent sync it is best to leave everything alone.
I suffered from a drop in sync, instability etc. a while ago, turned out my old router had gone faulty - it still appeared to work OK but not reliable a change of router followed by just leaving it connected gradually brought my speeds up (reboot the router around 8 or 9 am every few days but generally let the exchange see as few disconnections as possible seems to be the way to get the best from the line.
I recently managed to get hold of a BT 2700HGV (BT Business Hub), that has really given me speeds I though I would never achieve, I'd recomend these to anyone but unless you kow someone with a 'spare' you have to trawl the likes of ebay (never entirely without risk).  Mine was 'free' but had a failed power adaptor so I had to buy a 5V 4A adaptor from Maplin to get it working.
If you know anyone who can let you borrow a router this might confirm if yours has a problem.

Hello
Thank you for the information. The speeds like i said have gone from approx 1500 to over 4400 by moving it from an upstairs extension to the engineers socket but i seam to have more errors on the line now Also i seem to get more disconnections even though when it reconnects it does so at the higher rate. I replaced all the wiring and tried it back upstairs but the sync went down to approx 3600 hence i move it back down to the engineers socket after a few hours but it was nighttime and still got the 4400+ sync the only time i did a reset  during daylight hours i got over 5200 sync speed but as i said it has been resetting and resynchronizing itself (why im not sure as of yet but trying to find out. One thing i have seen is that the errors do tend to increase when the phone has been in use) and the last time was last night at 6pm and re-synced then at 4448 But has had the following errors in the 10.40hrs its been  connected and re-synced
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 193,883
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 10 / 865
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 767
As to the other part of the reply I have a few modems and modem routers i could choose from. These are
Im using at the moment is a
Thompson Speedtouch 780WL
Also have available
modem
Dlink DSL300G=
Modem/Router with Wireless
Belkin F5D7630-4A
Belkin F5D7633-4
Linksys Wag54G-GS
Linksys Wag354G
So i do have a few to choose from
So it looks like a process of sit and wait to see what happens and when. Then only get concerned only if nothing has happens after 3days?
All the best Thanks Andy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It sounds like if it is erroring more when the phone is in use that either the ring wire is still connected or the microfilter the phone is connected to is possibly faulty (though you could try double filtering the phone, that works in some cases - make sure you don't double filter the router though).
Hope that helps, if not please let us know and we'll look into it for you.
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
It sounds like if it is erroring more when the phone is in use that either the ring wire is still connected or the microfilter the phone is connected to is possibly faulty (though you could try double filtering the phone, that works in some cases - make sure you don't double filter the router though).
Hope that helps, if not please let us know and we'll look into it for you.

At this moment in time i am in the test socket and the faceplate is not plugged in just a micrfilter so i will try as you say and double filter the phone. and see what happens
regards Andy
puddy
Grafter

Andy
Have you ever thought about buying a BT-i plate aka BT accelerator ?
it my help your download speeds and/or make your line more stable price £9.98
I got mine free even though I dont have a BT Total Broadband account fill the details in and see what happens + £1.20 p&p
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_cid=btb_FURL_...
or full price
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-iplate---bt-broadband-accelerator-58LT.html?q=BT%20accelerator
It should cut down your error counts

Puddy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Since you are using the test socket the iPlate is irrelevant at this time.
If, using the test socket, error rates jump when the phone is used that is something which needs to be sorted before anything else.
However if the error rates remain high there is a fair chance that the automated system will increase the default noise margin which may fix the problem but drop your speeds a bit.
Can you post the full stats from the test socket - noise margin, attenuation and speeds.
puddy
Grafter

andy
Who did the internal wireing in your house and how many extensions and devices are plugged in to your phone lines?
Can you narrow down the extension that causing the speed problem, if you get better speeds in the master socket other equipment or wrongly wired extension socket could be causing problems.

Puddy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

This information (courtesy of www.kitz.co.uk) may give you hope:
~ What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?
•Decreases in sync speed will still reflect in the IP profile within 75 mins.
•Increases in sync speed will depend on the percentage of the increase and will vary between a few hours and up to 5 days.
A large % increase in sync speed should see the IP profile rise within 4-6 hours, whilst a small increase may take up to 5 days before the IP profile reflects the change. BT estimates that under "Adaptive Max Logic" more than 60% of increases will now occur before they would on the old 3 day system.
Examples:-
1. - Large increase - Line dropped to a 576 sync during a thunderstorm (profile = 500), after a resync it went back up to 7616 (profile 6500). Profile increase = 6000/500 *100 = 1200% increase which should occur in 4-6 hours.
2. - Small increase - Sync increase from 7616 (profile 6500) to 8128 (profile 7150) after interleaving removed. Profile increase = 650/6500*100 = 10% which may not take effect for 5 days.
How long it exactly takes for increases to be applied would also seem to depend on how busy the system is.
~ How long will it take for an increase to occur?
The figures below give a rough indication of how long changes are scheduled to occur after an increase in the IP profile. The Percentage Increase in IP Headline Rate = Period before the BRAS profile changes begin.
From  To  Time 

250%  3100%  4 hours 
40%  250%  12 hours 
20%  40%  24 hours 
15%  20%  48 hours 
10%  15%  72 hours 
8%  10%  96 hours 
0%  8%  120 hours 
Remember that some ISPs need to increase their own systems accordingly in line with BT's, which may take a little longer to process.

Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#ixzz0eVV61c4z
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
andy
Who did the internal wireing in your house and how many extensions and devices are plugged in to your phone lines?
Can you narrow down the extension that causing the speed problem, if you get better speeds in the master socket other equipment or wrongly wired extension socket could be causing problems.

Puddy

Hello
Its not a matter of the internal wiring any more as when it was connected to one of the extensions the sync was 1500. now its in the test socket its over 4400 even 5200 if the sync is made in the daylight.. So all the extension wiring has now been removes as when looking at it it was C**p anyway...
Andy
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Since you are using the test socket the iPlate is irrelevant at this time.
If, using the test socket, error rates jump when the phone is used that is something which needs to be sorted before anything else.
However if the error rates remain high there is a fair chance that the automated system will increase the default noise margin which may fix the problem but drop your speeds a bit.
Can you post the full stats from the test socket - noise margin, attenuation and speeds.

These are te latest stats Its the highest the SNR has been at 7 as its usually floats between 5.5 and 6.5 and there seam to be more errors today than ever But everything else seams the  same. ((Has the weather (snow and all the dampness) got anything to do with it at all?))

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:08:08
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,960
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 298.49 / 554.54
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 52.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,427 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 310,322
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,114
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,009
Ever since i started to mess with the Modem last Sat when i was getting 1500 sync and 1300 d/l i have never had lower syncs than 3600 But also never had faster d/l that 800 I know i have been moving the modem and replacing the extensions but I got fed up and thought that i ought to just leave it in the Test socket and see what i get I can then go forward from there. Its been in the Test socket since first thing on the 2nd  And ive not moved or touched it even though i have knoticed quite a few resets and also dsl line drops.. But the D/l is still at 800 max  I have been wondering if its time to try one of the other modem/routers to see if they alter the resets and dropped line? 
Its so frustrating knowing i had a slow sync of 1500 and a 1300 d/l and now i get a average sync of 4400 but only a 800 d/l
talk about 2 paces forward and 3 back at least id have be drunk to be doing that LOL 
Regards Andy
OshB5
Grafter

The latest BT Speed checker comes up with this So at least im going in thrigt direction
Results Image not loaded
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
3197 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3197 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4832 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps
Regs Andy