cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile problems

mhb1
Hooked

IP Profile problems

Why is it that whenever BT IP Profile drops Plusnet's IP profile drops immediately whereas whenever the BT IP profile increases, it often takes up to 24 hours (if ever) for Plusnet's IP profile to follow suit? This is really unacceptable.

11 REPLIES 11
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: IP Profile problems

We went on about that problem forever a while back, and the outcome seemed to be the delay in BT's servers sending the update to Plusnet. I'd guess that may still be the case. Also on 20CN my experience was it would take at least 3 days Shocked

mhb1
Hooked

I'm on ADSL2+ so 21CN but my experience on 20CN was that it was usually BT's system  that took so long to update the profile (up to 3 days) rather than Plusnet's reflection of it. However this is not the case now as BT's profile seems to update very promptly, the delay being with Plusnet's reflection of it. Is there a valid reason for this or is it just a software [-Censored-] up? Plusnet really need to get a grip on this whether the problem is with BT's system or their own.

Anotherone
Champion

On 21CN, yes the profile does update immediately, sorry if you thought I meant otherwise, but BT's servers are not/were not sending that update through to Plusnet in a timely manner. It seems to be worse when the change is only a couple of hundred kbps

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Your absolutely correct, it is just a delay from our suppliers sending the information back through and it is also dependent on line technologies and conditions.

mhb1
Hooked

OK, so if the problem lies with BT's System then Plusnet need to pressure BT into correcting it. After all BT own Plusnet so at least at the very highest management levels this must give Plusnet some clout.

Anotherone
Champion

It's a good job I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read that Funny

Knuppel doesn't exist, they have as many problems with BTw & Openreach as other ISPs, in fact I get the impression they get more Shocked

mhb1
Hooked

It is easy to get that impression but let's not be naive here. Of course BT top management  have a vested interest in Plusnet thriving.

Anotherone
Champion

Under OFCOM rules BTWholesale and Openreach are NOT allowed to give any preference to any ISP. If they were ever seen to be doing so there would be some pretty hefty fines.

Of course BT Group want to ensure Plusnet thrives and they no doubt give them the tools to do that, and where Openreach and BTw fall down on the job, complaints do get made (so they tell us).

Edit: BT servers don't send the data out any quicker to any other ISP.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Absolutely correct again. We do not have any advantage over any other company as this is not fair practice and not fair competition. Our suppliers treat each company the same.

mhb1
Hooked

Absolutely true (in theory!) provided of course that all other providers are suffering the same IP profile setting lag as Plusnet. But are they?

Anotherone
Champion

Not all providers using BTw products necessarily Traffic manage in the same way, they will just limit all traffic at busy times. The purpose of the Current Line Speed is to help with Traffic management. But in any event it's going to disappear all together for the majority that are eventually moved to the new network as I'm given to under stand that the Traffic management will be done completely differently - no detail provided. Obviously Real-Time sensitive traffic will still have priority.