cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile plummeted to 0.75Mbps

shure
Grafter

IP Profile plummeted to 0.75Mbps

Connected a new fax today, which necessitated disconnecting the ADSL filter from the wall three times within a one hour period (testing for an issue).  Now my IP Profile has nosedived to 0.75Mbps, which seems a little extreme.  I normally get 7.15Mbps.  Can I get a reset, please?
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.22 Mbps

0 Mbps 1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.75 Mbps
43 REPLIES 43
Joshc
Grafter

Re: IP Profile plummeted to 0.75Mbps

Good afternoon,
I rest your profile for you ( Rest the SNR)
let me know if things improve for you Smiley
shure
Grafter

Thanks Joshua.
Some questions, if you don't mind:
1.  Why did my profile drop by such an extreme to almost nothing? 
2.  When should I notice an improvement?
2.  How long before full service is restored?
Thanks in advance!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi shure.
Now, IIRC you're on a 20CN exchange -
Quote from: shure
1.  Why did my profile drop by such an extreme to almost nothing?

......which necessitated disconnecting the ADSL filter from the wall three times within a one hour period (testing for an issue).

If you are going to do things like that, especially on a 20CN connection, you need to do a graceful disconnect of the modem/router first - ie. log into it, click "Disconnect" to drop the PPP Internet session, wait about a minute and then power it off.
If you are going to plug things in and out then you don't want the modem/router to be synced to the exchange.
Plugging things in and out, especially filters, can cause a spike - mainly because capacitors need to charge up, this can cause a drop of sync.
If you inadvertently plug something in without a filter, this will not only cause a loss of sync but the resync will take place at a much slower speed resultling a low profile. This can sometimes happen even when using a filter.
This latter event on 20CN is a real pain because if the profile change from the lower rate to the higher rate is small it can take upto 5 days to recover.
If you've Disconnected and switched off, when you've finished re-arranging and connecting your other equipment, then is the time to power up the modem/router and if need be log in and click Connect to establish a PPP Internet session.
2.  When should I notice an improvement?

Because the profile change in this case is very very large, you didn't really need a line (SNR) reset as the BT IP Profile should have recovered within 4hrs. A reset can take that long (or fail) but is usually quicker. So run the BTw Diagnostic speedtest (don't reboot), when you see the profile back at 7.15 you know one or the other has happened.
2.  How long before full service is restored?

Ah now that depends on what happens to your Current Line speed (Login required) in the meantime. When your have a BT IP profile change, the BT servers send a Delta report to Plusnet's system that runs an update to correct the Current Line Speed. Sometimes (too often) there's a lag before the BT servers send the report. So your IP Profile can recover, you'll see improved download speed, but then the laggy report goes through and the Current Line speed drops. So you then have to wait for the updated high speed laggy report to go through the system before it's all back to normal.
However there have been cases where these reports have been significantly delayed, sometimes a couple of days. So keep an eye on it, if by Monday you are stuck on a low Current Line Speed but you BT IP profile is 7.15 then one of the CRT members can kick it for you.
HTH.
shure
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
Thanks for such a detailed reply.
You have a good memory.  I am indeed on 20CN.  Waiting for the day when my Fibre cabinet goes live.
I realise it was my fault, sadly.  I was just fiddling with the cables under the table when installing the fax and didn't twig at the time.  I've got so used to just leaving my router  alone I didn't give it a second thought until after, and then I thought:  "oops"...  I hadn't even considered I was waving the red cape in front of the DLM monster.  Dumb I know.  I didn't actually switch the modem off - just disconnected at the wall to fit a splitter (and then remove it).  Textbook what not to do.
I'm surprised at the extent of the drop, though.  To go from 7.15Mbps to 0.75Mbps, a hit of some 90%, seems excessive for such a small number of disconnections in such a short period of time.  Is that normal?  Why does DLM assume such a massive issue from such a small sample?  Just curious.
It's been a few hours and not noticed a change yet.  Keeping fingers crossed.
edit: a word I thought was fairly innocuous fell foul of the sensors, so I've made it more family friendly...
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt it was DLM as such, if as a result of you plugging things in and out, at the instant that sync is negotiated if there is a lot of noise (due to you making or breaking the connection) then the speed will be lower. The lower speed instantly causes a drop in profile.
shure
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone

However there have been cases where these reports have been significantly delayed, sometimes a couple of days. So keep an eye on it, if by Monday you are stuck on a low Current Line Speed but you BT IP profile is 7.15 then one of the CRT members can kick it for you.

I have the reverse.  My Current Line Speed is 7.15Mbps, but my BT IP profile is still languishing at 0.75Mbps.  Cry
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

It might be worth trying a single modem resync, this can sometimes kick the BT system to update the profile, particularly when there is a large difference between the IP profile and the sync speed as in your case. Smiley
shure
Grafter

thanks for the tip but didn't make any difference I'm afraid
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Oh well, it was worth a try, you will have to get PlusNet/BT to fix it.  Sad
Anotherone
Champion

That is NOT the thing to try on 20CN especially for anyone on a longer line!! Continuous connection is more important. Running the BTw Diagnostic Speedtest is more likely to have some effect.
In any event it's dropping the PPP Internet session, NOT the Sync that usually promulgates any update that is already in the system if it hasn't happened automatically.
I have the reverse.  My Current Line Speed is 7.15Mbps, but my BT IP profile is still languishing at 0.75Mbps.  Cry
There's a good possibility that the low profile may not have promulgated right through the system. Has the BT IP profile changed yet and returned to 7.15? Keep checking your Current Line speed (Login required)
shure
Grafter

No, everything is still exactly how it was, unfortunately.  Plusnet's Current Line Speed is still 7.15Mbps and my BT IP profile is still set in stone at 0.75Mbps. 
Anotherone
Champion

This obviously needs someone from Plusnet CRT to take a closer look. The port may need resetting if that's possible on 20CN, it may just be a stuck bRAS profile - they do happen Roll_eyes
AndyH
Grafter

It looks like the snr reset possibly didn't go through? If the IP Profile hasn't changed, it indicates this anyway.
Anotherone
Champion

As I mentioned earlier Andy that huge profile change should have automatically happened within 4 hours, SNR Reset or not!