cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile governing download speed.

jjaycee1
Grafter

IP Profile governing download speed.

My last post "FEC Surge" seemed to cause a bit of a flap between 2 very helpful forum gurus, so I have left that query alone !
I have, this morning noticed yet another very odd situation on my connection. I have a lot of downloads to do on a daily basis and have monitored for years now what my download speeds are with differing connection speeds and IP Profiles. I even have records, thats how nerdy i am !
Well I know as a fact, that if I am within a 2MBit IP Profile range which is 2272kbps-2816kbps I always download within the 230-240kbs range. When i have a connection speed  of 2848-3392 (2.5Mbit Profile) I will download at around 300Kbs. I use Network Meter to monitor the speeds, and Network Meters accuracy is irrelevant but it is it' s consistency that is important in my monitoring. It never wavers........that is until this morning.
I have been connected at 2624kbps for over 2 days and have done a lot of downloading at a consistent reading of a round 235-240Kbs from all sites regardless. This gives me a IP Profile of 2Mbit BRAS 2048. This morning I continued a downloading a large file and noticed that my download rate is now 280-290Kbs. This has never happened before ever. I thought it was a fluke so stopped my download and went to another site to download a file and it too was downloading at 280-290. This is an increase of 50Kbs in download speed and not far off (10Kbs )that i get when I am connected at a speed of 2848 plus and a IP Profile of 2.5Mb
Would anyone have any idea what could have happened to my line
3 REPLIES 3
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: IP Profile governing download speed.

At the moment your current sync from what I can see is 3168 which will be giving you a profile of 2.5.
Hopefully it stays that way for you!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jjaycee1
Grafter

Yes it is now Mathew, however it was not when I wrote to the forum. I needed to change my cable so I disconnected. When broadband reconnected it did so at 3168 which was at about 10.27am after I had posted my question at 8.25 am. When I wrote, it was at 2624. still mystified !
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hmm very bizarre indeed but hey a increase is a increase  Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team