cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile dropped, Can it be raised again? Any PN Bods Please read...

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: IP Profile dropped, Can it be raised again? Any PN Bods Please read...

Well you must have been very unlucky then. Are you in a purely housing area or is there any industrial stuff near you, or between you and the cab?
englishrick
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Well you must have been very unlucky then. Are you in a purely housing area or is there any industrial stuff near you, or between you and the cab?

CAB about 200m at most down a straight road, nearest industrial stuff is a fair bit away.. there is also another CAB about 200m the other way as well I noticed yesterday.... i have done a bit of research at I dont know if its right but I think the IPProfile will go back up eventually/maybe ...
englishrick
Grafter

As you may have seen as well,from the last few speed tests I think im almost maxing the current Ip profile..
englishrick
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

Give it a few more days, and try turning the modem off for an hour, maybe Sunday when things electrical may be quieter when you switch back on - unless you or the neighbours are out with drills, hedge-cutters (bit early for lawn mowers), cleaning cars with vacuum cleaners and the likes. But then you may be unlucky again!
Yes if you leave it, DLM may do a resync to see if it'll take a higher sync speed, but it does depend on noise present at the time. Not a lot is known about the various "trigger" points, for want of a better way of explaining it, that makes DLM decide to do what it does. Fibre is very hairy (pun not intended) because the DS signal is spread over 3 bands of frequencies.
englishrick
Grafter

Might try again, but dont know if i dare lol Cheesy Cheesy
jim:quote
englishrick
Grafter

Chris will my profile rise on its own then that's all I want to know
Anotherone
Champion

Nobody can be certain of that, it depends entirely on line conditions as I've said. The chances are you will have reboot the modem (preferably in the manner I suggested). It may be best to wait a couple of weeks before trying it if you are concerned about it possibly going down again. DLM may see these disconnects in the short term (even though they are innocuous) as a "problem".
I'll see if I can get someone that I know has had more experience with rebooting Fibre modem connections in this situation to post a comment.
Bright
Grafter

Not trying to pre-empt Chris's reply, but your profile should be reset automatically by the DLM every time the VDSL2 line re-trains. The new BT IP profile is then passed back to the ISP automatically every time a new PPP session is initiated or there is a DHCP request. So disconnecting the PPPoE session, then powering down the modem, wait for a few minutes, power up the modem, wait for the green DSL light to come on, then re-connect the PPPoE session. Your profile should then be reset.
But as they say in finance (and Anotherone has warned)... profiles can go down as well as up!
Anotherone
Champion

I've suggested that he leave it off for an hour based on recommendations round here and elsewhere.
Bright
Grafter

Yes. Not sure how the timers are set in the DLM mechanism, so that should be very safe.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

A BT docment (SIN498) confirms that DLM constantly monitors VDSL2 (FTTC) connections for the duration of the connection.
On installation, the connection starts with a wide open profile, with Interleaving completely off.
If serious errors are seen, DLM will take more or less immediate action. Otherwise, it should wait for 2 days before making any 'normal' adjustments.
There is no mention within the document whatsoever regarding a 10 day training period.
However BT Openreach do seem to make users (& ISPs) wait for 10 days before initiating an engineer's visit, possibly to ensure sufficient error count data has been obtained in advance.
From my own connection (when engineers have requested DLM resets back to a wide open profile) & from monitoring other connections, I have seen DLM regularly wait more than the 2 days before taking action & applying interleaving/lowering sync speeds etc.
It may just be coincidental that changing the cable was around the same time that DLM had decided to take some action & your resulting resync caused by swapping cables triggered the action.
However, having recently experimented with a similar length of 'high quality', shielded & twisted cable between the modem & master socket, I can confirm that my connection deteriorated until I swapped back to the originally supplied flat cable.
My sync speeds reduced by around 3Mb after a few days of a reduced SNRM when using the shielded cable & are still very slowly climbing back upward, following a couple of DLM initiated resyncs & a couple of my own modem reboots.
The only real way to know what effect DLM (or swapping cables) has had would  be to connect an unlocked HG612 modem & log/graph the connection stats over a number of days.
Then swap cables back to the original cable & monitor the connection's stats for another few days again.
BT's IP Profile occasionally 'sticks', especially when the modem resyncs very quickly on the fly, as is usually the case when DLM takes action.
A router (not modem) disconnection/reconnection forces a new PPP session & also updates BT's IP Profile.
A modem reboot/power cycle also has the same effect, but too many reboots & DLM can detect it as a problem & take even more severe action, lowering sync speeds & increasing interleaving depth, also increasing ping times.
Theoretically, DLM should detect an intentional disconnection, especially if a prolonged period has elapsed before connecting again (say the one hour as mentioned by Anotherone).
However, we have seen that DLM on VDSL2 connections can be rather aggressive in lowering sync speeds etc. & very slow at restoring them when conditions improve.
I have seen it take many days, weeks or even months for DLM to restore previously high speeds, occasionally causing a capped/banded profile that needs an engineer's visit before DLM is reset.
P.S. FWIW, new Windows compiled programs are to be released very, very soon (possibly tomorrow) for monitoring VDSL2 connections using an unlocked HG612 modem.
A GUI front end is now included for adjusting settings, folder locations, scheduled logging/graphing, recording resyncs etc. etc. etc.
Anotherone
Champion

There you are englishrick, I anticipated Bald_Eagle1 would have some valuable input on this, so, it's a case of you pays your money and takes your chance. Personally I'd wait a while and see how your connection behaves.
englishrick
Grafter

I'm amazed a speed test I have just done has suppast my IP Profile download speed.....  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Anotherone
Champion

Borked again  Grin  Grin  BTw do make complete pratts of themselves periodically  Crazy
Keep that up and you won't need to resync  Lips_are_sealed