cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile change - automatic, resync or PPP?

CX
Grafter

IP Profile change - automatic, resync or PPP?

What exactly is required for BT's IP profile to change?
Whilst trying different filters on Saturday, I synced low which took me just below the cutoff for the 1750 profile. I realise that updates to the database for IP Profile increases do not use the same magic update command as the IP Profile decreases (hence why there is an hour/days delay as opposed to minutes) so I must wait - the question is should I just leave it and it will take care of it automatically or should I try a reconnection.
If the end user leaves their connection alone, can the IP Profile change within a single session after the required wait or is manual action required?
If a manual reconnection is required, is it necessary to perform a full disconnect, resync etc or can you just drop the IP/PPP session leaving it synced with the exchange?
Is the BT equipment smart enough to realise that the end user initiated a disconnection or does it count that as instability and hence the wait must start again?
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IP Profile change - automatic, resync or PPP?

Hi CX23882,
You can try to resync between 10am-2pm which is apparently the optimum time to get a good sync. You should be able to disconnect/reconnect via the router interface without it causing it to affect the DLM.
Jojo Smiley
CX
Grafter

Thanks.
I checked on my router and see that I was jumping the gun a bit, as it's not even been 3 days yet since I reconnected at my regular sync rate.
Update: 3 days have passed since experiencing a low sync, and I have been connected at 2023kbps since. I accessed the BT Speedtest site around 5 minutes ago and was still on the 1500 profile. I manually reset the PPP/IP, leaving me synced with the exchange, and the BT profile is now at 1750. This tells me a few things:
1) It only took 3 days (72 hours) for the IP profile to be increased 14%
2) The IP profile does NOT appear to update within a given session
3) It is not necessary to resync with the exchange, only to reinitialise the session
4) Disconnecting before the 3 days have passed does not cause a problem (although I did not resync)
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Expect it to take around five days then you won't be disappointed.
Changed my router 36 hours or so ago and got a higher sync rate. Finally got a profile change but is it up to the current rate? Of course not, it's up to the previous 36 hours ago sync rate.
Is BT's software running the show deliberately dumb? Angry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI billnotben,
I've just been checking your line and there are a few anomalies. Firstly, it seems like your BRAS and MSAN speeds are inconsistent. Secondly, your sync rate seems low for your attenuation which I suspected was down to banding but it's not. How is your kit set up? Are you using an extension cable/socket?
Jojo Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran

Hi Jo, no idea what BRAS and MSAN speeds are but I have two more or less masters from a single point. I'm connected at the furthest away from where the cable enters the house. At some point I'll barrow a laptop and try the nearer connection.
At the moment I find it frustrating that speed updates don't happen when they are supposed to according to the mythical guidelines.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI billnotben,
I can understand your frustration, my line is under the same constraints. Do you not have one socket that has a test socket inside?
If so then you wouldn't need a laptop for me to check it, you would just need to connect the router via the filter into it. I can then run a test a see what difference it makes. My hunch is that you could drastically improve your speed.
Jojo Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran

I suspect you're right. No test sockets, old style, both coming from the same spur. The socket I'm on is probably on 50 foot plus of extra line around the outside of my house.
To use the first one permanently I would have to lay on a mains socket and 20 metres of Ethernet cable.
Eventually I will as like you I think the first socket will, hopefully, give me a lot faster connection.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi billnotben,
I appreciate you need to do things before making the connection there permanent but if you can plug it in there with all other equipment removed from the other socket I can check the line and at least you'll know whether it will be worth doing or not.
Jojo Smiley