Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile Stuck?

FIXED
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: IP Profile Stuck?

@Gandalf , Yes, the engineer  did a thorough job checking everything out, also performing another DLM reset. He advised there was nothing to suggest any cabling issues between the router and the cabinet. 

The Plusnet Hub 2 (not One) is now connected direct rather than going through the Openreach HG612. The engineer wondered if the Openreach modem was blocking some data from the hub 2, preventing IP profile updates. I will continue to monitor the Hub 2 with this direct connection over the coming days. If it does indeed need a direct connection, I may go back to the Hub One / HG612 when DLM has done it's thing, as that is my preferred setup, which in the past didn't have this issue.

Anyway, back to monitoring what happens over the coming days.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for the update @dgilbert2, thanks for the update! Fingers crossed and let us know how things go Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@dgilbert2 wrote:

The engineer wondered if the Openreach modem was blocking some data from the hub 2, preventing IP profile updates.

That is a really odd thought!

The IP profile is a fraction of the sync speed, which is negotiated between the modem (wherever it is) and the fibre port in the cabinet.  That should then be passed on to BTw's systems ... and if appropriate to Plusnet's infrastructure for those having a fixed IP address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

@Townman , I don't fully understand how the HG612 could be the problem to be honest, but as the Hub 2 is not intended to go with the HG612, I guess this needs proving out one way or another.

I'm starting to wish I'd stuck with the Hub One / HG612, but lets see what happens in the coming days.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The same issues with my gfast openreach modem never picked up ip profile to be updated. When I dumped this openreach modem. And use my own gfast router instead and this time the ip profile does updated with openreach bras profile to be matched correctly.

Seem openreach ip profile has issues with both vdsl and gfast modem.

No issues with Billion vdsl modem, no issues with Plusnet hub one, no issues with TP link vdsl modem router etc.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for the update,

It certainly is an odd issue, but would you not be able to connect your Hub One straight into your telephone socket without the Openreach modem? The Hub has a modem built in which makes the Openreach modem a little redundant here. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Gandalf , yes I understand your point on the Hub1 and I could do that no problem. I do like the HG612 though and separating the router and modem, eg, I can reboot the router to my hearts content without worrying about DLM. The HG612 is also very stable, until all this it had been connected over 7 months without a single event.

If all goes well, I'll be back on 5dB SNRM soon and if the IP Profile changes it proves that the Hub 2 shouldn't be used with the HG612. I'll then switch back to Hub 1/HG612, my old friends. That's my master plan, lets wait and see, I just need to be patient again....😉

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

You are allow to reboot the router once per day (per 24 hours) as it won't affect DLM. I done that many times before with Plusnet. But to be safe side you are better off switched off router for at least 30 minutes as DLM will take no action on it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ahhh okay. Yeah that makes sense. 

Let's see how it goes without the HG612 for now. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Hi Gandalf

I have learned from both VDSL via Openreach HG612 (connection to Billion 8800NL) as the IP Profile never get through to updated on PN automatically. I have to chase up PM Plusnet to updated the current line speed. But, it doesn't affect on standalone Plusnet Hub One, Billion 8800NL, TP Link VR 2800 and Zyxel Router without the need  of Openreach Modem HG612.

It was the same with G.fast Openreach Modem didn't updated correct ip profile every 30 minutes as G.fast use SRA as I have to use my own Zyxel Gfast Router and it was all fine.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah good to know! Cheers for the heads up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Hi @goldenfibre , did your IP Profile update as indicated by http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , (additional diagnostics)? That's what I have been using which (should) update straight after a line re-sync.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yes via BTW speed test with further diagnostic does indeed updated on both openreach modem and without openreach modem via router except gfast as it doesn't need it. Because gfast are very different sync rate every 30 minutes bin cycles due to SRA and FRA. My isp just put upper ip profile 10% on their end to ensure my gfast connection does not went below gfast ip profile from the start up of modem or gfast router.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@dgilbert2  I think you need to re-consider @Townman's comment which I agree with. The Openreach engineer was stumped so came up with a guess which was completely wrong. The router or modem does not set the IP profile, it is done much further back in the network at the BT Wholesale B-RAS (Broadband Remote Access Server) based on the sync speed information sent after every re-sync from the DSLAM in the FTTC cabinet. So it should update if the speed changes after a resync. There is a lot of information on the Kitz website about the workings of DLM and IP profiles if you are interested.

I think @goldenfibre is talking more about Plusnet's own profile (Current Line Speed) not updating correctly which is not the problem in your case.

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @RealAleMadrid , Kitz has become my best friend at the moment, some really helpful reading 🙂.

I'm certainly not ignoring @Townman or your comments as I do tend to agree. For the sake of 3-4 days though I just want to do what I've been asked and connect direct. If I don't do this, it will be the first thing that Openreach come back with and ask why, as the HG612 is redundant as far as they are concerned now. If I prove it does or doesn't make any difference, then I have something to go back with. Stuck between a rock and a hard place 🤔.