cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile Speed - what is does this mean?

erskine

IP Profile Speed - what is does this mean?

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1839 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7424 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps

Can anyone explain why my IP profile is only 4500 when I can clearly achieve much higher than this? In the past I have achieved speeds in the range 5kbps to 6+kbps.
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: IP Profile Speed - what is does this mean?

Hiya,
Your IP Profile ties in directly with your sync/connection speed.  Although it does normally take 2-5 days for it to catch up.
Looking at your connection, there's been a few drops over the last few days, which suggests that it's been reconnecting at different speeds and hence causing that drop in IP profile.  I'd suggest trying a new microfilter and trying to remove any unnecessary internal wiring.
erskine

Thanks, James. This issue is currently an open ticket with MAAF and I have been through all the checks - including filters and BT. I am now at the stage where I understand that the 'supplier'  has completed a signal to noise ratio adjustment and I have to monitor the situation over the next 72 hours.
Regrettably the only thing that seems to have changed since all these tests etc started is that my 'best' performance has dropped from 6mbps to 4mbps. The poor performances are no better and still appear to be around 2mbps at best at peak times.
I have been at this constantly for the past 3 weeks and I am now really hacked off.
Sorry to start, but I'm not continuing with this for much longer. You can understand why I believe that this is an ISP issue since everything else now seems to have been eliminated.
James
Grafter

It's actually not an ISP issue.  It's a Wholesaler issue.
You will have the same problem if you move to a different ISP that sell at BT IPStream product - you'll have the same sync rates and the same IP profile.
I'm not having a go and appreciate the frustration - I just want to make sure that you understand before jumping ship.
erskine

OK, so what would be the reason for a general reduction in speed combined with a daily dip at the same time each evening. This has only just happened recently and there is no line fault.
James
Grafter

Could potentially be an increase in usage on your exchange (which is happening across the industry).
It could also be a knockon affect from your connection drops, which takes me back to my earlier point of ensuring that your wiring and hardware are working fine.
erskine

Thanks, James. Some of those drops may be because I have been asked to reboot the router?