Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile - Can it be changed

lisapetewright
Grafter

IP Profile - Can it be changed

Hi,  IP Profile
Can this be changed at all, if so how and who do I have to ask.
BT is now saying my speed can double and I'm paying Plusnet for this.
It currently says on test I am on IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps Download & Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps Upload
29 REPLIES 29
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IP Profile - Can it be changed

Hi there,
Looks like we provided you on the 40/10 speeds, I've just placed an order to upgrade you to 80/20 which will happen tomorrow and should improve the speeds - please let us know how it goes.
lisapetewright
Grafter

Hi Matt,
As it happen I also called in. Thanks for sorting it out. Am going to be compensated at all as has been like this for 6 months now
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I wouldn't imagine so, no - the line's been working fine and at a very good speed for the 40/10 service.
lisapetewright
Grafter

Yet i pay the unlimited pack @ 80/20 and have been set on the 40/10 yet my line clearly shows on BT it runs higher
dick:quote
tonyw
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
I wouldn't imagine so, no - the line's been working fine and at a very good speed for the 40/10 service.

Are you serious? Shocked
The OP has been paying PN for Unlimited fibre but has been wrongly supplied with Essentials. PN owes the OP the price difference x 6 months and an apology.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Rubbish! The major difference is that Essentials only has a 40GB usage allowance and Unlimited is  unlimited. The speed cap is a secondary difference.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Routefinder
Grafter

Curious???
If the contract taken out was for the Unlimited 80/20 service but for 6 months the 40GB data cap with the (restricted) 40/10 was provided, not compensating does seem odd/wrong. 
The fact the "provided" 40/10 was working AOK surely is irrelevant as the OP was in effect deprived of the higher DL & UL speeds not withstanding if he never exceeded to 40GB level  ~ were it a physical product such as say a Hammer Drill that was paid for but the supplied one had no hammer action...............................the supplier could hardly say "well sir it drills just fine and the hammer action is secondary to the primary usage, that for drilling...."
I hate a mystery Wink so do hope that this can be explained with reference to the terms & conditions Huh
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I believe that Unlimited Fibre is commonly provided on a 40/10 speed where the estimate is below 40Mb/s - Plusnet will increase this on request (for Unlimited customers) if it is seen that the line is running at the maximum 38.71 BT profile (indicating a full 40Mb/s sync).
It would make little sense providing a line on 80/20 if it's only capable of, say, 30Mb/s downstream but it's still the Unlimited product.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AndyH
Grafter

When the OP took out fibre, did he not get an estimated speed?
It could be that BT have revised the estimates for his/her property, hence the speed increase.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Either way as jelv says the extra cost of Unlimited is for usage, not speed. As such there's nothing to compensate for.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

To put this in another context, you could have a speed estimate (and capability) of 20Mb/s but still choose Unlimited Fibre (where 40GB/month is insufficient for your needs) and your line would likely be provisioned for 40Mb/s because it would not achieve any higher speed if provisioned for 80Mb/s - your line would be running as fast as it could and you'd have unlimited data allowance.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Routefinder
Grafter

Not wanting to hi-jacking the OP's thread in my case I got from COT costs etc for Unlimited but maybe in my case although the BT line checker says at best it is worth me getting the 80/20 for wringing out as much speed as possible but at worst 40/10 will be OK???  And subject to getting another offer based on Essentials from COT save some money.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: AndyH
When the OP took out fibre, did he not get an estimated speed?
It could be that BT have revised the estimates for his/her property, hence the speed increase.

Yes, and the estimate was 40Mb, hence us providing the service at that speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tonyw
Dabbler

Quote from: lisapetewright
Hi Matt,
As it happen I also called in. Thanks for sorting it out. Am going to be compensated at all as has been like this for 6 months now
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]

The Sale of Goods Act (1979) and the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982) says that goods and services must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and delivered as described.
If you signed up, and have been charged, for Unlimited fibre but were provisioned with Essentials and Plusnet did not inform you of this and give you the option of downgrading to the cheaper product, then you entitled to a backdated refund and/or compensation on the basis that that the service was not delivered as described.
Yes jelv the law applies equally to retailers and ISPs.