Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Connectivity

mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IP Connectivity

Have been having some IP connectivity issues today and over last few days. From time to time the connection is dropping and I'm loosing ability to ping yet MSN for 5 mins or so. But MSN and Sametime seem to be carrying on like everything is ok. I seem to have wireless connectivity ok and can connect to my routes admin page. Wondered if there's some changes going on at PlusNet which are causing some minor outages or if I should be looking for other solutions.
My router is reporting D-LINK these error messages. Password of course is correct otherwise I wouldn't be able to get here at all.
Jan 30 15:56:25> invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on `pts/10'
Jan 30 16:05:18> invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on `pts/12'
Jan 30 16:05:32> invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on `pts/12'
Jan 30 16:05:46> invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on `pts/12'
2 REPLIES 2
MrC
Grafter

Re: IP Connectivity

Quote from: mar7t1n
Jan 30 16:05:46> invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on `pts/12'

These messages may be a bit of a red herring WRT your problems. They look like your router is configured to allow ssh or telnet logins from the Internet and someone out there is trying it on. This isn't that unusual and, as long as you've got a non-obvious password, then you're reasonably safe. However if you really don't need Internet admin access (& most people don't) it's best to disable it, so you may want to have a look at disabling Internet/WAN access to your router. Unfortunately without the exact model of router it's hard to give chapter & verse on how to do this  Wink
Mike
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: IP Connectivity

Cheers for that pointer. My firewall is locked down as far as I know - no remote telnet enable. It's a D-LINK DSL-G604T. Maybe there's something my side trying to get at it. Must run a virus scan. Seeing more login attempts on there now. Will see if I can stop them by adjusting settings.