cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Camera HELP!

kennychaos

IP Camera HELP!

Hi, someone please help before I tare my hair out!
I have a wireless ip camera, I've used it wired and all was well but I was told I need a static ip to get the use I want (home security)
So, I've bought a static ip, now I cannot even connect to the camera. I need to open ports or something but I'm completely lost.
My router is Thompson TG585 v7
My camera is MayGion
If anyone could remote assist me I would be extremely grateful. I deploy to the Falklands soon for 6 months and really want to get this sorted.
Thanks in advance.
Kenny
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: IP Camera HELP!

Hi there,
This can be done but in the interest of being done but to be open and honest with you it's not a quick job or one for a novice.
First you may need to upgrade the router firmware to the standard Thomson v7 version: http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG585/v7/Firmware/
then you'd need to use CLI (command line interface) to change the settings to allow no-nat (i.e the ability to assign a static IP to a specific device on your network): http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG585/v7/Firmware/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TLE
Grafter

He shouldn't need to disable NAT to allow this...
What you need to do is have plusnet assign you a static IP address, so that when your modem connects, it is always given the same IP address. This is what you would use to connect to the camera over the internet.
You then need to also assign a static IP address to the IP camera, this can be done in the Thompson router, or in the cameras configuration pages.
You then need to forward the correct ports on the Thompson router, to the static IP address that you assigned to the camera. This is usually port 80 on most IP cameras.
Where did you buy the static Ip address from ?
jim:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

What you need to do is have plusnet assign you a static IP address,

They do have an IP with us so based on past posts (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,83211.0.html/) ....and past experience they may need to follow my advice.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
godsell4
Rising Star

Use the DMZ mode on the router, this will solve all your problems. The static IP address is not really required.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
David_W
Rising Star

If the Thompson is a Technicolor 582n type (from the IPV6 trial) the firmware used there should allow it to port forward?
Go to here and click "Create a new game or application".  Give it a name (like IPCam) and then on the next page set up the settings for your camera.  Go back to the link above and click "Assign a game or application to a local network device" to apply the settings to the camera.  That is of course assuming it's the same sorta options in the Thompson.
kennychaos

Thanks for your replys, lots of conflicting advice gets me confused.
So opening ports is the answer, I've followed a step by step to open my NAT type for my PS3 so I was really hoping for a genius to help me with one.

Does that look good?
kennychaos

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Umm... According to the picture you've not set a static local IP for the camera. The incoming connection needs to be passed on to the correct device and having it static means it won't change if anything happens (power loss, modem reboot or simply a DHCP lease renewal).
That's RPM to you!!