cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address Conflict (Vista) - Plusnet run out of ideas! HELP!

swonky
Dabbler

IP Address Conflict (Vista) - Plusnet run out of ideas! HELP!

If anyone can help resolve this issue I will be eternally grateful!
We have Fibre Optic and a Technicolour TG582n router.
I've come home to my parents house and need to connect my laptop (Vista) to their network. One laptop (Vista) connected plus iPad's/phones.  I've always been able to do so before on Virgin no problem, works fine with SKY in my flat with multiple other laptops/devices, fine with any other wireless service if I'm out 'n' about but with Plusnet, it is local only and I have spent many frustrating hours on the phone ( last night after waiting 40 mins I was 'put on hold' to get tech advice and no one ever returned, 20 mins I listened to Tainted Love on loop!  🐵 with them trying to sort this out but they have "run out of ideas" apparently.
I've run Windows diagnose, we've re-named my computer on the network, we've entered a manual IP address rather than automatic, we've re-started the router, I've done an ipconfig/release, we've done quite a few things and they've even taken over my laptop previously to try and sort it out. Nothing. They're not sending out a new router which I'm sure will have no effect whatsoever. I've asked them about using a static IP address/different IP address as clearly to me, with my limited understanding of all of this, that seems to be the issue. Nothing.
When my Mum originally had problems, the advisor said there were too many people using the IP address in the area (?)and put her onto what Mum said she was told was an I6 or something (IPv6?). Plusnet say they would not have done this, but all I know is that every other device in the house can connect except my laptop which can connect to any other wireless network.
I have so much work to do and can't get online and it's driving me  Angry - any ideas? Any clue what's stopping the wireless connection? Thank you in advance!
47 REPLIES 47
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: IP Address Conflict (Vista) - Plusnet run out of ideas! HELP!

As a temporary workaround, could you turn off the wireless on your laptop and just wire it direct to the plusnet router using an ethernet cable?
What is the make & model number of your laptop?
Make and model of the internal wireless card would be useful too.
(Open Network and Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings, Right click on the Wifi icon, choose Properties)
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
swonky
Dabbler

Ah the one thing i forgot add is, it's the same both wired and unwired - local only.
Laptop is HP G70 Notebook
 I *think* my internal wireless cars is Atheros AR5007 802.1b/g WiFi Adapter (does that sound right?)
It feels like it's just one tweak or box click away from working and it's so frustrating I just can't * get* there. I know there's no problem with my laptop, I've just walked down the road and used my friend's BT Home Hub no problem!
dick:quote

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

When you tried it wired, did you remember to turn off the wireless on the laptop ?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
swonky
Dabbler

Quote from: zzZzz
As a temporary workaround, could you turn off the wireless on your laptop and just wire it direct to the plusnet router using an ethernet cable?
What is the make & model number of your laptop?
Make and model of the internal wireless card would be useful too.
(Open Network and Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings, Right click on the Wifi icon, choose Properties)
I can't help but think it may be an obscure windows (wireless) driver problem - after all, it works on any other wifi network you have used.

PS. Am currently looking at updating the firmware as that's been tweeted to be as a suggestion by Plusnet - not really sure what I'm doing but hey ho!  Cheesy
davidg52
Grafter

Hi
There's one thing you could try if you already haven't done it, uninstall the wifi card in the device manager and reboot the laptop. The wifi card should be reinstalled and it may then find the wifi signal. It's worked for me before.
Regards
Dave
swonky
Dabbler

Quote from: zzZzz
When you tried it wired, did you remember to turn off the wireless on the laptop ?

Yes, same error message "Windows has detected an IP address conflict, contact your system administrator for help"
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What's the output of 'ipconfig' when connected to the PN router?  Are you actually getting an address?  What IP address, gateway and mask did you try when you configured manually?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Might be worth noting down the IP addresses of the other devices on the network too
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

See what net scanner sees (bottom of page for direct link)
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
swonky
Dabbler

ETA: oops, noticed IPv4 was unchecked in my settings - one of the many things I fiddled with. Wireless ipconfig is now:
ipconfig output is:
Wireless:
IPv4 192.168.1.73
IPv6 fe80::8dca:85e6:a78:d8b%12

Wired:
IPv6 fe80::8dca:85e6:a78:d8b%12
IPv4 169.254.83.112
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Default : 192.168.1.254

IP Address configured  manually was:
I noticed the wired IPv4 is different to the one I've got set in 'use this...' in settings, is that the issue?
THANK YOU for all your help guys.
swonky
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
Might be worth noting down the IP addresses of the other devices on the network too

Laptop I'm currently on, the original one configured is:
Mine that doesn't work is
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looks like you're not connected to the router properly - The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is a default address that Microsoft use when the DHCP server doesn't respond.
[Correction, I see you were connected wirelessly - Try wired for now to remove a variable]
Also, from memory, the 192.168.1.66 address you tried is near the bottom of the router's DHCP scope so is likely to already be used.  Try an address like 192.168.1 200
Disable IPV6 as well - You've got the same address on both NICs so that may be the error you're getting
swonky
Dabbler

Quote from: davidg52
Hi
There's one thing you could try if you already haven't done it, uninstall the wifi card in the device manager and reboot the laptop. The wifi card should be reinstalled and it may then find the wifi signal. It's worked for me before.
Regards
Dave

Gosh, that sounds very complicated  (?) and I'd have no idea what to do - I'll have that as a last resort It think! Thanks Dave
swonky
Dabbler

Quote from: pwatson
Looks like you're not connected to the router properly - The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is a default address that Microsoft use when the DHCP server doesn't respond.
Also, from memory, the 192.168.1.66 address you tried is near the bottom of the router's DHCP scope so is likely to already be used.  Try and address like 192.168.1 200

Will try, thank  you! What do I put for the alternate DNS server address do you know?