cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP outgoing mailserver not accessible

goodanew

IMAP outgoing mailserver not accessible

The outgoing mailserver relay.plus.net is not accessible to me [username/password accepted but returns error] when using imap from outside the plusnet domain. This rather defeats the value of imap mailserver! I can read incoming email, but cannot send mail from my account! Other ISP offering IMAP do not appear to have this restriction.
Dr Ray Lewis
Senior Consultant
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: IMAP outgoing mailserver not accessible

IMAP is not used for sending, only receiving a copy of the emails in your mailbox.
When email is sent it uses SMTP via relay.plus.net. To use replay.plus.net from a non-plusnet IP you need to enable SMTP authentication in your email client and use your main login/password for the authentication. This will work whether you are connected to a PlusNet IP address or not so can be left set that way.
Note: SMTP authentication is only available to subscription accounts - i.e. you pay for your connection monthly etc. You cannot use authenticated SMTP from a free account.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the last answer was not 100% true, below are my settings that work, I have only blocked out my username
I have used it from Cornwall, Cardigan, Oban, Bury St Edmunds no problem
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Your name is still visible in your image.
Also what I have said (possibly witht the amendment you did not see) is 100% correct.  Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thanks (I hope this time)
I have added the sent list as well, not worried about the presenters names on BBC Essex
paulby
Grafter

@pierre_pierre
You're settings show that you *ARE* using authenticated SMTP, you're just not using  *secure*, i.e. encrypted, authentication (which PN currently don't use but may add when Ironport is used for outgoing mail).
(In order not to use authenticated SMTP you need to remove the tick from the "Use Name and Password" box)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

oh well that set up does work