cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to order a new router

sunumiah
Dabbler

I would like to order a new router

I would like to order a new router since my router keeps turning on then off I did a factory reset but did not help. I have a TG582N router but the latest one is 2704n will that still work. Also can I order online since I cannot order on telephone or phone?
19 REPLIES 19
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: I would like to order a new router

what firmware is your tg582n running?
sunumiah
Dabbler

Product Name:                     TG582n
Software Release(Firmware):      10.2.2.B
Latest firmware
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

From what i can gather the latest plusnet router is not as good as the TG582n, which in itself isnt that great.
You may be able to get a plusnet router ( i tihnk they charge £5/6 or somewhere around that for P&P) 
but as with almost all ISPs, ISP supplied routers are usualy on the just good enough for the basics scale fo tings.
If you want a decent routeer then you would be probably be looking at the open market
bsanotrun
Grafter

well i know that the 2704n seems to get a bad press but
i have a really bad overhead line for the past 10 years it would not stay connected overnight the SNR drops by over 9db
this has been with netgear and Thomson routers
plusnet sent me a 2704n to try
so far Uptime 10days and counting Smiley
Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes, my 2704N managed to hang onto a connection with SNRM of 0.9dB - dropped it soon after though but even so....... Shocked
sunumiah
Dabbler

I have ordered a new router 2704n. If that does not fix my problem  Angry I will be more than happy to leave PlusNet Tongue and go to BT or SKY
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You do realise that by getting a new router from Plusnet you signed up for a new 12 month contract and if you leave in that time you will have to pay for the router
sunumiah
Dabbler

Or maybe if it does not fix my issue I will go and do another call and get a technician.... Is it free to get a technician ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That rather depends on the cause of the problem
If it is the router being faulty then the new router will sort it
However having a router turn off is most unusual as it would normally reboot itself
Perhaps if you were more specific in explaining your problem we may be able to point you in the right direction
These questions may help
When you say - turns off
Do you mean
That the router just turns itself off and there are no lights showing on it
The router reboots
The router lights - some of them - stay on but you lose either sync with the exchange or connection to the internet or both
The router lights all stay green but you lose wifi connectivity
The router lights all stay green but the wired connection to the router fails
sunumiah
Dabbler

So this is what happens. About a week ago I had to reboot my router when I did the power light came on but it will stay on it for few minutes. Then it it will eventually go off and on again continously. After I did a factory reset it the broadband light came and it turns off and on from there not when the power light turns on. After a few times this happened it finally went on the internet but now it will keep shutting off and on from there. When it does go on the internet light it stays red for a few secs then green then shuts off and turns back on. I replaced ADSL Filter but no luck. But I think a new router will do the trick.
sunumiah
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
That rather depends on the cause of the problem
If it is the router being faulty then the new router will sort it
However having a router turn off is most unusual as it would normally reboot itself
Perhaps if you were more specific in explaining your problem we may be able to point you in the right direction
These questions may help
When you say - turns off
Do you mean
That the router just turns itself off and there are no lights showing on it
The router reboots
The router lights - some of them - stay on but you lose either sync with the exchange or connection to the internet or both
The router lights all stay green but you lose wifi connectivity
The router lights all stay green but the wired connection to the router fails

Update one problem : when I try on master socket seems fine extension socket faulty . I cannot use it one the master socket because someone can trip over since it is too exposed also if I did i would have no place to place my router and phone line. Is there anyway to replace extension socket that PlusNet installed when I got my broadband pacakge and phone line(for free)?Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend

When you say Plusnet installed it - they didn't - it would have been BT Openreach although it is most unusual for them to provide an extension socket without charging
However from the information you have provided up to now it seems to me that it is more likely that the power point adjacent to the extension socket is faulty
Can you try in the extension socket but using an extension lead to plug the router into a different power point
sunumiah
Dabbler

How do you get an extension lead in the extension socket. An extension socket looks like a master socket you cannot put an extension lead into it only an adsl filter which I use( I tried using another ADSL filter not worked) Also when My broadban was installed they put an extension socket since I told them to because I couldnt place my router if I used the master socket.
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I wasn't clear  Embarrassed
An extension power lead from another power point to power the router