cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to replace the BT Fibre Modem - Any Suggestions?

hughythomas

I want to replace the BT Fibre Modem - Any Suggestions?

Hi Guys,
I'm a bit of a geek and want to get the best out of the connection - our BT Modem keeps dropping and as I have a decent router (Asus RT-N56U) I want to complete the package by installing a good 3rd party modem.
Any suggestions?
I'm on the Fibre Unlimited package btw.
Cheers!
Tom
15 REPLIES 15
EdgeEffect
Dabbler

Re: I want to replace the BT Fibre Modem - Any Suggestions?

I would say if you are having problems of the BT modem dropping connection there's a line fault or possible faulty modem. Also did you know the BT modem (if the Huawei HG612) can be hacked with a firmware update so you are able to see connection stats and I believe unlock other functions of the modem that are disabled by BT, obviously this is at your own risk and quite a number of people buy their own off ebay to do this, the latest version being 3B. Sorry cannot advice on different make of VDSL modem.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The BT modem really shouldn't drop out (unless you have a line problem between the cabinet and the modem, a faulty modem or a problem at the cabinet), mine used to stay in sync for a good month at a time.
You could buy an unlocked modem and monitor the connection to try to find out why it's dropping (you can unlock your own modem - at least if it's the Huawei HG612 - but I can't advise that because it is BT Openreach property).  Most third-party VDSL2 devices currently are high-end combined modem-routers and rather expensive (and don't necessarily match the sync speed achieved with the BT modem which is supposed to be 'matched' to the cabinet chipset).
I currently use a Fritz!Box 7390 because of its additional features but you'd be lucky to find one for less than £200, I keep the BT modem just in case I need to reconnect it if there's ever a problem with the line.
[Edit] Beaten to the post!!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

But better advice  Wink
njay
Grafter

Cclonline have its sibling the fritz box 7360 for £110.80. What's that one like?
w23
Pro

No 5Ghz wifi, only 2 Gigabit ethernet ports but a good saving over the 7390.  I can't comment on how good it is or what other differences there might be but it does look like AVM are trying to offer more affordable products without cutting the spec too far.
The 7390 has some reported issues with telephone call echo and problems with caller display (partly caused by the 'special cable' used to connect both telephone and DSL to the router), I'd check whether these issues have been reported on this newer model if I was thinking of getting one.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
njay
Grafter

Yeah just looking and it acts as a dect phone base station. They certainly look well specced even on this baby brother version  Smiley
w23
Pro

Maybe going a bit OT now, hope that's OK but using the Fritz! as a DECT base connected to landline and VOIP, you can route calls differently according to dialing rules (number based only - can't route according to time of day unfortunately), also the Fritz!App allows you to use wi-fi connected smartphones to make & receive landline and VOIP calls (I can even answer the phone with my Android tablet).
Slightly less off-topic, the Fritz! can connect either direct to the VDSL2 (or ADSL) line or via ethernet WAN to the BT modem (also able to use a 3G stick as emergency back-up).
VDSL peformance on the 7390 is a few Mbit/s down on the BT modem (but not enough to make any real difference except in speedtests),  Both models lack 'Vectoring' capability on the VDSL side, not sure if/when this will matter (or if it can be fixed with firmware), the upcoming (but likely to be very expensive) 7490 will have Vectoring, wifi 'AC' and USB3 ports.
Call me 'w23'
EdgeEffect
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
But better advice  Wink

Was your post really necessary or relevant? talk about kissing someone's  A..., well I think you get the picture.
Anotherone
Champion

NO. It's simply the fact that you did not mention that users should not tamper with BT's modem or do so at risk of a very large bill from Openreach (or even disconnection). In FTTC services the NTP (Network Termination Point) - that's the Demarkation Point, is the Ethernet socket on the Modem for the Fibre service.  Just saying they do so at their own risk isn''t enough.  But you didn't answer the OP's question either  Roll_eyes
EdgeEffect
Dabbler

I suppose you answered the OP's question in your first post then?  Hmm, that would be a NO!!.
Well I suppose every forums got to have one and It looks like I've found Anotherone.  Cheesy
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

I didn't need to answer it as w23 had already done so. Did you stop to thing why I had made the comment - that would certainly be a NO! So why don't you take my comment in the friendly manner in which it was intended and move on. I suggest you also have a read of the Forum Rules.
EdgeEffect
Dabbler

Well your first post would come under "Trolling" as it had no relevance and disrupted the discussion. Like you said please move on and have a nice evening.
adie:quote
hughythomas

Hey guys,
Thank you kindly for the replies.
I note all of the information presented in the thread, however I am still looking specifically for a 3rd party Modem to use in place of this BT one. I draw your attention to the fact that I have a separate Router (the ASUS RT-N56U) that I would like to keep using as its very fast, has a nice GUI and looks 'shiny shiny'.
Despite this, if there really are no alternative 3rd party modems that can be used then which Modem/Router all-in-one box do people recommend instead of my current setup? Specifically, I am after speed of networking (I would like to use it as a Gigabit switch also), accessible interface, USB 3 (in case I want to install more networked HDDs etc.) and stability.
Thanks again for posts and look forward to hearing from you!
Tom
x47c
Grafter

In my opinion the real problem is that there are simply not the units out there with sufficient computing capacity.
An all in one box has to handle the VDSL signal and in future also de-scrambling the cross-talk vectoring correction.
It also has to handle the NATs, the gigabyte Switch, the DCHP aspects, the users GUI/webserver interface, telnet whatever.
OK the wireless will be done by a separate chip.
(Personally I'm not in favour of USB facility add-on's...its just yet more load on the unit)
We are going to need a step change in computer power in the unit (and of the chips inside) to do all of this - particularly if you are close to the cabinet and so receiving a full 70+Mbps service where the unit really does have to 'work hard'.
Snag is, it's all getting more complicated.......you start to need to look at heat generated and the possibility of cooling fans, and before long you have got a full sized mini-computer plus OS attached to your NTE5: with the much higher costs to the consumer.
It is noticeable that BT's latest home hub just released does not include a VDSL modem - so BT are clearly thinking of 'separates' being the mode of operation for a while yet.