cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to monitor individual users usage

atatw

I want to monitor individual users usage

Since somebody (out of 3 people using the wireless) is gobbling up our usage allowance every month. Does anybody know of a way i can do this?
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: I want to monitor individual users usage

Have you got three computers on your wireless ?
If so, you could put  Netmeter
( http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml ; )
on each one, and set it for the start date of the month, and you can check it daily, or whenever....
scootie
Grafter

i use NET LIMTER 2 put on all the p.cs. plus it logs bandwith usage of each application which is usefull when u want to limit your usage near the end of the usage month.
atatw

do both these applications involve having to look at the individual laptops to see what has been used? I assume so, while this wont be a problem with one of my users, it may be with another. Although i guess if we get two of the results, it wont take much maths to work out the 3rd, since plusnet monitor daily usage anyway.
scootie
Grafter

yes i think you would have to check all computers net limter history it is easy thoe to reset the history but u would still know which user is using most as this would point to some usage allowence hog guilt.
i only use this monitor to check which appilactons r using the most bandwith so i can limit my usage of the appilaction at the end of a usage month.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yes, You would have to check them all individually...... Netmeter is not "clandestine"..... it shows up on the desktop, and is also available on the lower task bar bottom right corner... so It will not be a "secret" spying operation.... If you have 1 problem user out of 3, and do not put it on their machine, the others will let him know anyway.... also if you put it on the machines, they can easily "uninstall" it..... and it may act as a means of control anyway.....  (like speed cameras) 
I don`t think there is a way of monitoring the overall usage, and then splitting it down to individual users without an expensive logging software system....
Just a thought, but is it possible to access "operational time" within the windows systems files? 
atatw

yeah. Thanks. I dont want to really secretly spy on them, tis just as a means of comparison really. I dont know if there is one particular problem user, or if its just down to the introduction of bbci etc.